Too small to breed? We got her, pic added pg 2

taraann81

Ridin' The Range
Reaction score
I have recently found an opportunity to purchase a purebred nubian doeling from a commercial dairy in my area. Usually of course doelings don't come up for sale as they use them for milk.

The reason they are selling her is because she is such a small size. She was born in April and only weighs about 50 lbs now at 8 months of age.

Could her small size be the result of her being one of a set of triplets?(the other 2 were bucks and slaughtered at birth) and Could she still catch up in size?

Or if she stayed small could we perhaps safely breed her to a pygmy buck and milk her(large quantities of milk are unimportant) and either sell the kids as pets or use them for meat?

She's the right breed, color and price I've been looking for. We will probably get her as a pet regardless but who doesn't want a pet that could provide you with milk!

BDial

Ridin' The Range
Reaction score
Do you have a mini nubian buck in your area to breed her to? That way (if you wanted) you would keep the nubian type.
When breeding I always wait till they are a year old but thats me.

FarmerChick

Overrun with beasties
Reaction score
trips
yea sounds like the little runt

she should grow, just give her time

8 mos. is minimum age for breeding I use and then of course I look for stout gals. (I have Boers)

I would wait a bit and judge size and stamina in about 2-3-4 mos.

then make some decisions
sometimes best not to breed if they are not up to standards etc. to improve your herd. hope that helps some

taraann81

Ridin' The Range
Reaction score
No mini nubians in the area. I'm not worried about improving my herd with her offspring any ways, They would be slaughtered or sold as pets.

So 50 lbs at 8months isn't ridiculously small for a nubian? And if bred to a small buck it may be okay to milk her?

Thanks for the replies.

FarmerChick

Overrun with beasties
Reaction score
yes that is small for a nubian at 8 mos.

I have boer goat kids that are 40-50 lbs at 4-5 mos. easily.....LOL

You can absolutely breed her to any smaller buck like a pygmy and use the kids as you see fit. And yes you could easily get some milk from her after she kids out.

Did you check her health also very good? A high parasite load can keep goats from thriving in size also. Just a thought. Sometimes when you can handle their health care, the size kicks in and a strong kid results.

taraann81

Ridin' The Range
Reaction score
I will find out more about her health when I go to look at her on Sat. Regardless, she'll be quarantined and I'll bring a fecal to my vet when she gets here.

I like to assume since they are a commercial dairy that their goats are in good health and dewormed as needed. But I guess you never know.

FarmerChick

Overrun with beasties
Reaction score
they probably are fine but when one doesn't grow to well it is always best to check all aspects....cool

and sometimes the individual goat is a parasite magnet or something...just happens.

miss_thenorth

Overrun with beasties
Reaction score
Nubians crossed with pygmies produce what is considered a kinder goat, who is smaller in size, but a prolific milker. there offspring are considered good for meat, since they will be stockier from the pygmy. I say go for it!!!!!!!
and if you have a doeling, maybe we'll have to talk then ;)

Oh, and there is a goat dairy near you? Is it near me? inquiring minds want to know, (and get raw milk until I can get my own)

taraann81

Ridin' The Range
Reaction score
I will ask them on sat if they sell raw milk! I thought there was strict laws about that? Or is that just in the states?

I guess my biggest concern was with such a stunted size perhaps she has internal abnormalities but I suppose there's no real way to be sure with out attempting to breed or excessive vet testing.

First and foremost she'll be a pet but milk could be a very positive plus!!

Also the baby has pretty bad eczema and I have heard that goat milk can help but its so expensive in the stores!

Roll farms

Spot Master
Reaction score
Most of my runts catch up to their siblings by that age BUT...That doesn't necessarily mean that's not why she's staying small.
I had a Feb. born quad doeling Nubian (the runt at 6#) who was 78# at 6 mos.
I've found the later my goats kid, the more prone the kids are to parasite problems (cocci and worms), my theory being they're being weaned (stress) at the time the parasites are coming on strong (June-July) in our area.
We started kidding earlier and the kids seem to do better.
I'd definitely have a fecal ran, could be stunted from cocci, that bug will slow growth down like mad.
If she passes the vet check, I'd say go for it, and breed her to a mini buck of some variety (pygmy, Nig, or mini cross.)

Latest posts