Too small to breed? We got her, pic added pg 2

taraann81

Ridin' The Range
Reaction score
Roll farms said:
Most of my runts catch up to their siblings by that age BUT...That doesn't necessarily mean that's not why she's staying small.
I had a Feb. born quad doeling Nubian (the runt at 6#) who was 78# at 6 mos.
I've found the later my goats kid, the more prone the kids are to parasite problems (cocci and worms), my theory being they're being weaned (stress) at the time the parasites are coming on strong (June-July) in our area.
We started kidding earlier and the kids seem to do better.
I'd definitely have a fecal ran, could be stunted from cocci, that bug will slow growth down like mad.
If she passes the vet check, I'd say go for it, and breed her to a mini buck of some variety (pygmy, Nig, or mini cross.)
Actually rolls I doubt that being one of a triplet was the reason she was staying small( the more I think about it the more I think that being from a commercial dairy they would know that a triplet would be smaller)the are selling this kid as a hobbyist pet only,

I just assumed that that meant what might not be good enough for a dairy would be good enough for me! If her size may detrimentaly effect her ability to kid safely I may chose differnttly about her future!

But I am sure she will be a cute pet!

taraann81

Ridin' The Range
Reaction score
Well here is what I now call my teacup nubian ;) She is so tiny her back only comes up to my knee my guess is she weights closer to 35-40lbs instead of 50.

She is current on vaccinations and deworming, I will still have a fecal run on her to be safe.

This is a bad pic. We definately won't be breeding her this year(prob too late anyway??) And with good feeding and good care perhaps we can get her a bit bigger. If not she sure does make a cute little pet!

Here is Maizie, Better pics to follow.
510_eggs_009.jpg

taraann81

Ridin' The Range
Reaction score
She has some of the weirdest quirks. SHe still ast 9 mponths of age sucks on my fingers. Olliver stopped doing that about 2 weeks after he was weaned. Her fecals all came back negative! But I think after christmas we will take her to the vet as I am curious to see what he has to say about her small size.

She is like a perfect Nubian in miniature, I assume if it is some sort of dwafrism she would be out of proportion but she is not! She's a real sweaty!

mavrick

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
If you didnt want to breed her with a pymgy, breed her with a nigerain dwarf, there a milk type and give lots of good milk for there size

taraann81

Ridin' The Range
Reaction score
mavrick said:
If you didnt want to breed her with a pymgy, breed her with a nigerain dwarf, there a milk type and give lots of good milk for there size
I think that will wait until next fall. She is just so tiny now. I will try to get a pic with a size comparison soon. I'm worried about when I finally introduce her to my goats. When they hear her bleting across the yard the hair on the back of their necks and backs raise up and my doe butts anything near her!

lupinfarm

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
Aww isn't she sweet! We have 2 Pygmy's, my biggest girl is 60lbs and kidded once before with no problems to my knowledge.

I had no idea that a nubian/pygmy was a kinder. Interesting. Perhaps I'll get a couple nubians from the farm a town over (very nice milking lines, registered, and local) to breed to the Pygmy buck we're getting this spring.

Freeholder

Just born
Reaction score
If you have a bathroom scale, you can pick her up, weigh yourself with and without her, and get a more accurate estimate of her weight. She looks quite stocky, and might actually be heavier than you are thinking. Still, I think you are right to wait to breed her, and give her some more time to grow.

Sometimes there's just a small one. She may actually be a very good milker -- size doesn't have a lot to do with that. It's the amount of feed they take in.

Kathleen

Ariel301

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
She sounds like a doeling we have...we bought a bred LaMancha doe from a dairy farm, but she was bred by accident (she got into the buck pen) and so they didn't know what the sire was, it could have been anything, really, they had 10 or more bucks of several breeds. The doe kidded with twins, a 5 pound buckling and a 4 pound doeling. That's a good deal smaller than the buck kid we had just ten days earlier, he was about 7 pounds at birth.

Now, at 8 months old, our girl is barely 40 pounds--and that's with being pregnant! (stupid sneaky buck went over the fence some time this fall and got her! We don't know when it happened, but she is pregnant for sure...) We can't find anything wrong with her, or her brother, who is only slightly bigger. Both look like perfectly proportioned LaManchas in miniature, they don't look stunted or dwarfed or anything. We don't know what is going on, maybe they're just miniatures. The other one we had born around the same time as these two is already as tall as our older goats, and about 75-80 pounds, and we raised them all together, so if something was wrong with two, it should have been wrong with all three.

Latest posts