Trailer Wishlist

Margali

Herd Master
Reaction score
We are getting ready to purchase our first livestock trailer. I know I want a front escape door and a door within a door on the rear. Any advice would be welcome. This would be for showing and taking flock / FIL cattle to vet.
Vehicle: NV3500 passenger w 8700 tow capacity
Animals: ~6 sheep, combo of sheep and pigs, or a cow-calf pair

How long does animal compartment need to be for cows?

Baymule

Herd Master
Reaction score
I have a 16’ bumper pull stock trailer with front (on the side) escape door, middle gate, end gate with sliding gate in it. One of the best purchases we made.

It is long enough to load cows comfortably. Larger animals usually don’t want to crowd into a short space. Good luck on trying.

With a middle gate, I can separate ram lambs from ewe lambs.

If I’m leaving early the next morning, such as loading hogs to take to slaughter, we always loaded them the evening before. That gave us plenty of time, not hurried, not in the dark the next morning trying to load hogs. Shut middle gate, slip feed pan under it and put bucket of water through escape door while they were distracted by feed, for overnight. First stop after unloading was the car wash. LOL

I love my 16’ stock trailer. It suits my needs perfectly. Check on Craigslist.

Ridgetop

Herd Master
Reaction score
How long does animal compartment need to be for cows?
You can fit 3 horses or 3 cows into a 16' stock trailer with the compartment gate open.

16' bumper pull stock trailer would be your perfect first trailer. If looking at used ones - make sure to get it with slide gates on all doors. Check floors for rot - our friend carried a large pocket knife with which to stab the wooden floors to check for sponginess. You must have a solid floor - replacing it will be costly. Check hitch, make sure that it has safety chains. Make sure the registration is up to date. Try for a clean title. Steel trailers are heavier while aluminum are lighter to pull. Both steel and aluminum can have damage. Steel rusts, aluminum is subject to stress tears. Repairs can be expensive on that damage. @Baymule has a guy that can do trailer repairs though so before buying anything that needs repairs check with her.

Our first trailer was a used Miley horse trailer. We soon outgrew that trailer. We decided on a stock trailer. When we looked for a stock trailer in 2000 we started out looking at used but they were too expensive. We found that we could order a new WW 16' bumper pull stock. We needed bumper pull because I took the kids to shows and fairs with the camper on the truck to stay in.

The 16' WW has a front escape door. We ordered our trailer with 2 interior gates both with slide gates, and our rear gate has a slide gate. The interior gates lift out (heavy so will need strong man or two) if needed. With 3 compartments we used the smaller front compartment to pack all our milking machines, grooming and cleaning equipment, feed, hay, etc. The 2 rear compartments were used for milkers and dry yearlings/kids. It would hold 20 goats. We also use it to carry our horses, hogs, calves, sheep, and heifers. Love that trailer and will not sell it. Every so often I scrub and sand down the interior metal and spray it with metal paint to counteract rust. DS1 has done some work to the roof.
While our little Miley was very hard to back up, I found that backing the 16' trailer was much easier. Our new 24' gooseneck trailer is nice, but I have to learn how to back up a gooseneck which has a different type of turning ratio. DH is a master at it so he will have to teach me. (OH NO! Tears, shouting, huffiness, and sarcasm coming our way. ;))

Baymule

Herd Master
Reaction score

These will give you some ideas. I found some cheaper, but they were ragged out. Found some costing twice as much, new price on a used trailer. Found 2 horse trailers, those might work now, but at some point, they will be too small, especially if you try to load cattle.

Ridgetop

Herd Master
Reaction score
14' long WW is a bit too short for me. Plus the inside divider gate does not have a slide gate. Slide gates are necessary for small stock ease of loading. Swing door on sheep or goats may catch legs. $4150 seems high for 14'. Located between Athens and Tyler.

I like the red trailer width at 6.5' but does it have an inner gate? I couldn't tell but I like the extra width for hauling horses or cows. Need more information on it though - tires, brakes, etc. West side of Tyler.

Blue trailer sounds good and is located south of Fort Worth so closer to you. Not as wide as red trailer, but average size. Will fit 2 horses side by side, probably 3 cows in trailer easily with center gate open. Price is good at $3250 if all as advertised. Center gate does not have slide, but if it is a lift out gate you can probably buy a replacement with a slide gate.

Check roof from inside for rust pin holes. Use a knife to stab floorboards to check for soundness.

Good luck!

Baymule finds good trailers!

farmerjan

Herd Master
Reaction score
We have a 7x20 and it will hold 8-9 mature 1100 lb cows. A 16 ft one should easily handle 4 if it is only 5 ft wide; 5 for a 6 ft wide.... You do NOT WANT alot of movement room for cattle... Or for horses. Look at the dimensions of a good 2 horse trailer and see that they do not have a "ton of space"... it is for them to stand still so to speak. Same as stalls in the big horse transport vans... they are NOT big.... Cattle will swing their weight around and cause the trailer to sway and throw the truck back end around. Especially if it is a bumper pull.... which technically is not a bumper pull... but has a "reese type" hitch that is mounted on the frame under the bumper. Bumper pull is fine for a lightweight utility trailer... NOT for livestock or anything of any weight. It is a term that was relevant when they first did come out... plus, bumpers were attached to the vehicle securely(frame) and made of something sturdy... today they are not.

A cut gate is good... for 16 ft it is overkill to have 2 inside cut gates, for cattle... but for small animals it would be helpful. We do not have slide doors in our cut gates, again, for small livestock it would be helpful.

Our trailer is steel, I like the heavier feel for it. Person preference. DS prefers the aluminum 24 ft trailer...
The 20 ft one has 2 doors on the back that meet in the middle... I greatly prefer that than the one large swing gate... and I dislike the slide gates....but they are popular. The double swing gates on the back will go back against whatever you are backed up close to.... when loading and you don't have to deal with the full size of a swing gate on one side and some other type of panel to use on the other side. The 2 back gates on ours will open in or out... can be backed up flush to a chute or alley to load into one door or the other... There is a steel bar (think rebar looking) that goes down into a place inbetween the trailer frame to secure''' a bar slides across the back also. We put a chain around the 2 gates for an added security measure... If you want to look at different ones, look at the website for the actual "gooseneck brand" of trailers... just to see some of what is available.

One thing to think about... yes the floor is essential... IF there is a questionable spot... you can lay plywood down for a temp floor.... so 16 ft is easier to not have to cut plywood shorter... and 6 ft is 1 and 1/2 sheets wide...
One other thing... you will need to make sure the trailer tracks straight... NO minute bend in any of the axles, or you will wear out tires... and the wiring... which is bound to get torn apart sooner than later on any trailer... we ran ours down the outside of the trailer when we rewired it... inside a piece of pvc pipe... so they were not dragging underneath it...
Also, if any say they have "RUMBER" floors... they are SUPERB.... a "rubber" made floor that is indestructible... and guaranteed.... no more wood rotting...

Margali

Herd Master
Reaction score
ARGH!!! :heHusband reminded me my Highlander has to pull 1st trailer because he will not be coming to every show. It has nameplate GVWR of 6,000lbs but I'm aiming for no more than 5k.

I think something like this would work? There is NO way I'm getting 2,800lbs of sheep in there. I could easily turn the nose into a tack room.

Baymule

Herd Master
Reaction score
If that fits your needs, then go for it. That’s a nice trailer. It’s got the escape door, swing end gate with sliding door. You have to keep the weight down to what your vehicle can pull. I think you found your trailer.

If you have a farm sales tax exemption, you won’t have to pay the sales tax on the trailer. If you don’t have a sales tax farm exemption , then get one.

farmerjan

Herd Master
Reaction score
Is that dealer very far away???? Go by and see what they have... might be able to wrangle a good price on something with a center gate.. And if you do not have a reese type hitch, they might be able to install one... do some "horse trading" wheeling dealing... because times are getting tighter.. and there are more and more going out of business/selling out that have animals... so not as big a market in the tough times...