Trailer Wishlist

farmerjan

Herd Master
Reaction score
I think that the hitch you have is the same as what we call a reese type hitch... probably just a regional thing with the manufacturer... ours is the square tube type 2 inch receiver ... we have a couple of 2 ball hitches, but mostly have several to just switch out since often we are pulling hay wagons and need the flat bar for the hitch pin to go through the wagon tongue that goes on the flat hitch.
Yeah, after pulling yours up, that is the same as what we call a reese type hitch here... Attached to the frame for pulling...
Yes, I'd go look at them... get an idea of size and what you like, want...

Margali

Herd Master
Reaction score
Hubby also suggested a low profile trailer to reduce drag on the Highlander and sail effect. The trailer I listed is 6'6" internal height. The "low profile" trailers are 5'8" or 6'. I'm 5'6" so either works for me. The low profiles tend to be more $$$. Is the foot height difference worth it?

farmerjan

Herd Master
Reaction score
Hubby also suggested a low profile trailer to reduce drag on the Highlander and sail effect. The trailer I listed is 6'6" internal height. The "low profile" trailers are 5'8" or 6'. I'm 5'6" so either works for me. The low profiles tend to be more $$$. Is the foot height difference worth it?
No, the low profiles are not worth a big increase in price, if under 6'6"... a taller "throroughbred" height trailer at 7'+ inside makes a difference on drag... but stand next to your vehicle... and figure the height to the top of the roof... if the trailer is no more than 6-8" taller... it will not make a big difference in the drag. You are not at the racetrack, where 2 inches might win or lose the race. The difference in "saleability" down the road needs to be considered also... very few people, unless they have just sheep/goats... want a trailer that is less than 6'6" inside... you want a trailer that will be multi functional... if you can get a 6' inside for as good a price as a 6'6" then it is worth considering... anything less is just not worth the cost.... and lack of versatility...
For me, the bigger concern is the loading height of the trailer in the back... if they have too high a distance to load up into it. We actually have our chute that we back into at the barn, with the "tire tracks" that are in a depression so that the animals can mostly "walk right in it" close to level... sure that is not available at many places.. but we also will back the trailer to places in the pastures where we set up catch pens.. to try to take advantage of dropping the wheels in "low spots" so it is easier to get smaller animals - calves - to load. AND the closer to the ground in the back, the less likely small animals...lambs, kids, piglets, even calves... will try to go under to escape.. We use a couple of hay/straw bales in front of/under the back to load small stock so they can't even think about going under...

Ridgetop

Herd Master
Reaction score

Per DH - If these are your towing specs on your Highlander, you will probably need to look for an aluminum trailer since steel may be too heavy. (Or only take Hubby's vehicle when going to shows.) Is your car set up for trailer brakes? Have it checked since you can have a receiver for a small trailer without needing trailer brakes. With a larger heavier trailer you will need trailer brakes. DH also says that if you are driving in ice and snow and need chains on the car you will also need chains on the trailer. According to DH, overloading your car engine towing can burn up your transmission. You should look into a transmission cooler for the car for towing. (BIL did that when towing his new boat.) DH also says that the age of the tires is more important than the amount of tread.
DH suggests getting a lightweight open utility trailer and building a box on it for the sheep when going to shows to save weight for your vehcle.

Towing​

Maximum Towing Capacity (pounds)
Maximum Trailer Weight, dead weight hitch (pounds)
Maximum Tongue Weight, dead weight hitch (pounds)
Maximum Trailer Weight, weight distributing hitch (pounds)
Maximum Tongue Weight, weight distributing hitch (pounds)

The difference in "saleability" down the road needs to be considered also... very few people, unless they have just sheep/goats... want a trailer that is less than 6'6" inside... you want a trailer that will be multi functional...
Absolutely what Jan said! A shorter height trailer will not hold its value since you will be limited to shorter stock - no horses or cows. Most people want to be able to use it for everything for convenience. Some horses (cattle?) won't load in a shorter height trailer. Always think about resale since trailers hold their value forever when taken care of. Since you are getting a smaller trailer due to your current tow vehicle weight restrictions, you will eventually want to resell and buy a larger trailer down the road when you get your truck.

A cut gate is good... for 16 ft it is overkill to have 2 inside cut gates, for cattle... but for small animals it would be helpful. We do not have slide doors in our cut gates, again, for small livestock it would be helpful.

We custom ordered 2 interior gates instead of the standard single gate. We also ordered all gates with the slide gates because we bought our trailer to travel to dairy goat shows. We looked for a used trailer but at the time sellers wanted more than we paid new for our WW 16' stock. I have hauled the front compartment full of hay, feed, tack, and the rear compartment with 2 horses to go horse camping with my ETI club. When evacuating from the Creek fire, DS3 loaded all 3 horses 16.2 hh in with plenty of room.

The stock trailer also had to be able to transport our horses, heifers, and other Fair auction livestock. When using it for horses and heifers the full gate swings open. I liked the slide gates because even loaded you can go through from the front to the back to feed animals while traveling. That was important to us because sometimes we had to load up to leave the fairgrounds around midnight, then would feed in the trailer, sleep in the camper, then pulling out at dawn for a 6 to 7 hour trip home. I was pulling the trailer with the boys ages 10 & 12 - DH was working - and I don't like driving all night.

I would not bother with a 12' stock trailer. IMO they are too short. DH says that the short yoke of the hitch will make that trailer very hard to back up. Also, because of the short turn ratio it will be easy to kink and damage it with your rear bumper. (Ask me how I know! LOL) If you are going that small, you might be able to get a cheaper horse trailer which would have a tack compartment .

We have used our trailer for 23 years for hauling all sorts of livestock, picking up fencing and equipment, moving furniture, etc. We have certainly gotten our money's worth out of it and it is still going strong. Whatever trailer you get, look for good condition and you will be happy.

Baymule

Herd Master
Reaction score
What vehicle does your husband have and could it be the designated trailer puller?

Margali

Herd Master
Reaction score
In reverse order:
-My husband doesn't have a vehicle yet. Once he passed his CDL we are buying him the NV3500 van. Since shows are normally Sat and Sun mornings he will need it often at same time. He doesn't really fit in highlander driver's seat.
-Door sticker says my 2019 Highlander with 3.5L V6 has GVWR of 6000lbs. Already planning atleast 15% derate vs nameplate.
-I have the open utility trailer now. Getting my light weight cattle panel crate on it a pain. I'm afraid heavier one will be worse. I also hate that I can get inside to grab sheep.
-My highlander was prewired for 4pin connector that doesn't include brakes. I would have to run the wiring all the way to cab if I get something with brakes.

Last edited: