Treat for goats

taraann81

Ridin' The Range
Reaction score
Does anyone know of a site that lists which plants are poisonous to goats and preferably one with pictures? It terrifies me to think mine could be eating poisonous plants. Of been trying to do research on it but haven't found a good list with pics as names don't really help if you can't recognize the plant. Thanks

FarmerMack

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
taraann81 said:
Does anyone know of a site that lists which plants are poisonous to goats and preferably one with pictures? It terrifies me to think mine could be eating poisonous plants. Of been trying to do research on it but haven't found a good list with pics as names don't really help if you can't recognize the plant. Thanks
www.goatworld.com is one also www.ansci.cornell.edu/plants/goatlist.html

A lot of times goats will not eat what is poisonous to them but it is good to know

goat lady

Ridin' The Range
Reaction score
mine love the alfaya cubes that I give to my rabbits. I have to break them up cause the cubes are too big for my momma and her little billy.

JerseyXGirl

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
OHMYKIDS said:
would they eat branches without the leaves. I've got apple tree branches
We trimmed up our apple tree and saved the branches putting one in at a time. They would strip those babies down. They loved the bark on them. :)

chris09

Just born
Reaction score
alba said:
grass clippings, branches, twigs,brush blossoms, leaves. tree bark, human hair, corn & wheat(chicken scratch/horse feed/dog food), table scraps ANYTHING! If you live in the woods, your goats will think they live at a buffet restaurant, because everything in the woods is food for a goat....INCLUDING poisonous plants. You can give them a nicely diced fruit and vegetable salad if you'd like but they aren't picky.
Goats will eat ANYTHING at all!
Dog Food?
I would never feed dog food to a goat. I give some dog food to poultry but never goats... Sorry... Way to much meat meal in ther for goats..
And I have found goats are very picky eaters..
Chris

FarmerMack

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
your right on the dog food. dog food is for dogs and chickens only because the little canibals will eat most anything. I buy the herd a head of cabbage some carrots or what ever vegetable is on sale that week.

chris09

Just born
Reaction score
I dont feed treats to much.. Most of the time it is when there at a show then I give them some salted peanuts ( in the shell ) they love them..
Chris

norcal

Overrun with beasties
Reaction score
What age do/can you start feeding treats? Two months?

mully

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
OHMYKIDS said:
would they eat branches without the leaves. I've got apple tree branches
NO they like the leaves and the soft new branches. I throw assorted pruning in with them and they eat what they want and then remove the branches. Try not to give them too much junk food, especially things with a lot of sugar. They like animal crackers so once in awhile I will give each a few. They would eat 100's if you let them.

Latest posts