Tricks to keep your rabbit cool and comfy in the heat

Lorelai

Ridin' The Range
Reaction score
We aren't having especially hot weather here right now, but the sun is starting to emerge from our seemingly neverending supply of cloud cover, and the rabbits aren't well shaded in the mornings. We've improvised by attatching some landscape fabric (black, but permeable, if that makes sense) to the front of our hutch. It provides the rabbits with shade, keeping the sun from hitting them directly in the mornings. Our only concern: will this help or hinder? It's only attached at the top, so it acts like a half curtain, shading both tiers of cages. It moves with the wind, fanning up, so there is still air flow, but we're slightly concerned that it will get hotter in the hutch with the black fabric. Comments? Suggestions? Thanks!

Mitransplant

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
It is 91.5 here at 4:17 but have the rabbits outside in the shade. They love being outside. Take them out first thing in the morning and then at dark put them back inside. It is a hassle but I will NOT leave my rabbits or chickens for that matter inside when there is somewhat of a breeze and they can enjoy it some. I have frozen bottles just in case it was scalding today but if I can handle this they should be able to. Hope everyone has a great summer with NO casualties.

BriteChicken

Exploring the pasture
Reaction score
Hey guys!
I'm new to owning a rabbit and shortly after I got him he has started sneezing. Would this be due to the heat, it's getting up to the 90s here in AL and he did have more shade where he was at his breeders house but he's always been an outside bunny. I've put him in the shadiest place in my yard but he still sprawls out most of the time and pants quickly during the hottest part of day I've tried putting an ice pack in there with him but caught him trying to nibble it instead of lay against it :ep Wouldn't the ceramic tile get hot after it thaws? i work 8 hour days during the week...

P.s. He's a lionshead about ten weeks old so he's very fluffy but I gave him a trim tonight hoping that'll help a bit I'll watch closely tomorrrow.

Eia

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
I really enjoyed reading this post. It has alot of really good ideas for helping with the heat. I especially liked the clay tile idea. I am going to have to try that.

hollandloplover

Exploring the pasture
Reaction score
You can freeze tiles in the freezer and put them in the rabbit cage to keep them cool!