Trimming hooves for the first time

Egg_Newton

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
It's not so bad. I was nervous the first time I did it too. I put them on the milking stand and give them some grain. The younger ones that are too small for the stand I just hold in my lap. I pick out all of the stuff caked on then clip sides, front, and backs. Then I use a drimmel to smooth everything out. I use this on my dog too. He absolutely hates the nail clippers but will tolerate the drimmel. The lady that taught me how to trim also uses the drimmel. When doing there back hooves I put my foot on the back on the stand, bend their leg back and rest their leg on my thigh to restrict their movement. This is a lot easier with my mini nubian than my ND because she's a little bigger. The front legs I bend behind them to where their hoof is parallel to the stand. This is helpful since you are supposed to trim them as flat as possible.

RubThyNeighbor

Exploring the pasture
Reaction score
I watched youtube videos and went to a neighboring farm to learn and gain confidence. I'm trying to get over my inherent laziness and do it more regularly. My goats actually seem okay with it. I did stab myself with the trimmer so be careful!! I started to gush blood and ran to get a towel. My doe didnt like me leaving her on the milk stand at all. First time that I heard her bleeeeep like that. Poor girl. It's really okay if you give their favorite food while you trim the hooves.

RedWolfeFarm

Just born
Reaction score
I just did my first and very late trim job on my nubian doe and my little saanen/alpine doe and the saanen doe did better but she also clipped very well, laid down and got nice and comfy while i clipped..(ok so I count very well as not acting like I was killing her just by tying her up like everyone else did) So while I was extremely nervous I just went slowly taking off little bits at a time until I saw the pink start to show. The nubian needs more work but I will tackle her again in about two weeks time and wait to feed her until its time to trim. The boys are next on the list. Last time I trimmed Nick he tried to be smart and lay down so I couldn't get a good grip and trim him...I just kept going LOL

BlueMoonFarms

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
I have found that if I wrap some of my fingers up with vet wrap, I wont slice into them when the goat kicks and send the knife straight onto my pointer finger or thumb. *glares at nutmeg*
Just a little tid bit I figured out on my own when it came to hoof trimming the really naughty goats.

Martin's Grove

Exploring the pasture
Reaction score
Thanks for all the good tips. I chickened out this time & had my son-in-law trim them. However, I think I can do it next time.