Triplets and Quads

doreenmcd

Exploring the pasture
Reaction score
My Pygmy doe gave birth to quads a week ago. One didn't make it and one is now a house bummer. Yesterday my Nubian gave me triplets. They are all doing well. They've never had more than twins. Both were bred by my LaMancha buck, it's obvious from the ears! Real cuties. What are the odds for future multiple births? Are some breeds more prone to multiple births? I have two more does; this will be their first year and hoping for no more than twins.

fortheloveofgoats

Overrun with beasties
Reaction score
I can't be of any help, but I wanted to say congrats. Do you have any pictures that you would want to share? We love baby pictures. :D

Bunny-kids

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
From what I've seen, pygmies are much more prone to multiples, and more multiples (trips and even quads).

I've seen triplets plenty of times in Nubians, but twins are also common, and even singles. Not sure what's MOST common though ... I'd guess twins? I've never seen quads from a Nubian.

I wouldn't think the buck would have any bearing.

Age, health, breeding history, and genetics of the mother should all come into play. Many people feed the doe very well before breeding (flushing) to encourage more kids.

Would love to hear what more experienced folks have to say. My experience is still limited.

Oh, if your first-timers are yearlings, they are much more likely to have singles.

But if you have a doe that typically has multiples, or larger groups of multiples, chances are good she will continue. Once does go through their first season or two, I think they are more likely to have multiples, too.

That said ... my under-a-year high % Nubian just gave me twins ... But she was an exceptionally fast-growing and robust kid. Still, I think it's been hard on her.

dhansen

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
I have a nubian doe who had kidded quads twice, a single one last year, and triplets this year. One of my nubians aborted quintuplets before I got her.
My other does usually kid twins and triplets.

DonnaBelle

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
My Nubian doe Felicia, who is 3 years old gave birth last year as a first freshener to triplets. 2 doelings and a buckling

This year 3 weeks ago, she had QUADS. The babies are all living and have bee fine since birth, 2 does and 2 bucklings. But it has been very hard on Felicia.

I sold the two doelings to a lady who was retired, and starting her herd. I still have the 2 bucklings. In the 3 days since the doelings have been gone, she has gained a lot of weight. I'm giving her red cell and she is doing better, day by day.

I had 4 does give birth to 12 kids in the past month, all have lived, all my goats are Nubians.

Of course, since I am not interested in having lots of kids, just healthy moms, that give good milk, I got baby goats coming out my ears.

I guess people want all the goats the moms can produce, but I'd be happy with one baby per mom. I have only had one goat kid with 1 kid since I've been in this and she was a whopper and is going to be a wonderful large Nubian doe.

DonnaBelle