Trying to learn about udders....PICS and ?'s...

GrowURown

Ridin' The Range
Reaction score
Does anyone have any links to sites that explain OR any photos/an explanation itself OF WHAT A GOOD UDDER IS? How does one learn how to identify and spot things like "attachment" for example?

See....I read all the talk about "she has really good attachment" etc...but I don't know what to look for....and now that we have these little goats we are considering giving it a year, seeing how we do with them, and then, in a year, if they are still alive and doing well, getting some actual "dairy goats". We have the little pygmy one we are milking...not getting a ton of milk...but it's GOOD STUFF! we all LOVE IT and would like to have more....so now the research and learning phase begins....and udders confuse me...goats in general confuse me actually...but udders right now are a source of major confusion....

Take our little Bambi for example....is this a good one or a bad one? (Not the goat, we know she's spoiled rotten, but her udder) I know extra teats are a bad thing...got that part...but how is this sucker attached? Right now the goats outside are all we have to go on, so I figured she was a good place to start....someone learn me about udders! please?

4hmama

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
Kinda hard to tell from the pics...I would suggest that you get a better picture...one that is straight on (if the goat cooperates!), and shows everything from tail to hocks...that way you get all of the udder - from where it attaches to the end of the teats.

I'm still learning myself...but there are those out there that are great about helping! :)

GrowURown

Ridin' The Range
Reaction score
OKay - so I finally got some pics of the udders we are currently working with... First up is Scarlett...yes she has a funky teat, we can only assume that is true to what we were told - she had a single buckling LAST time, and no one ever bothered to milk the unused side (what we were told - I dunno - I'm no expert) But otherwise...how does this one look?

I have to admit - the funky large teat is the easiest one for my big man hands to milk! I almost appreciate the easy with which I can actually get a grip on the darn thing!

Next up is Mammy ( I know, say what you want to, but EVERY thing with these goats has a "gone with the wind" name - thank the wife for that one! The buck is Rhett, the kids are Ashley, Melanie, Brent and Stuart and we have one other doeling Prissy and a second Buck Wade and YES she made me watch the movie that day!) Anyways...I think hers hangs a little funny in the back, and lets not mention the words "kickky" and "milker" in front of her - she's the queen! (Got something coming from Hoeggers to fix that though...) anways again...hows this one looking?

Just wondering what everyone's input was on the little belly draggers....currently it's what works for us :) We aint complain' just curious...

*note the green bucket...that's my $2 to fix to "laying down on the job" they BARELY clear the thing, but it keeps 'em on their toes...LITERALLY!*

ksalvagno

Alpaca Master
Reaction score
I'm learning by physically seeing a lot of udders. I have found a mentor who knows udders well and is teaching me. I think that is probably the best way. Another way would be to attend shows and see what is winning in the ring and then see if you can get a close look at the winners.

GrowURown

Ridin' The Range
Reaction score
Do they look okay though? I just don't want 'em falling off or anything...one looks ready to pop about 5 minutes after we milk her...the black one...We are going to start doing more "goat stuff" once things slow down around here some ...just wondering if these are decent to start with?

helmstead

Goat Mistress
Reaction score
Is Scarlett's udder full there? Yep, she's got a blown teat - might get worse through the years, but we have an 8 year old Nubian with a blown teat and it doesn't affect production.

Mammy has a very nice fore udder (could be a little flatter if you are picky) and medial. Her rear udder attachment is low...but the side view leads me to believe she has a nicely attached udder otherwise.

Roll farms

Spot Master
Reaction score
I love your wife. GWTW is my all time *fav* movie.

Where's Aunt Pittypat??

Years ago we had a herd of registered llamas and they all had GWTW names...
I've had a dog named Scarlett, a goat named Scarlett....

Judging udders is a bit difficult when you aren't sure how far along they are in lactation and when they're still wearing their winter 'fur'. But I agree w/ what Kate said. Mammy's looks really good from the side.

Somewhere around here there's a thread called ...ah, here I found it...

http://www.backyardherds.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=7857&p=1

Lots of udder pics and discussion about what we like about them.

I learned a lot by reading Dairy Goat Journal's judging section when I was trying to figure this stuff out.

GrowURown

Ridin' The Range
Reaction score
Thanks! I actually kinda started milking...then stopped and grabbed the camera when I took Mammys pics - so she's like ...idk...half empty there? Maybe less....

Fully milked out one side on Scarlett, the other kinda started and said DUH...grabbed the camera again....

yeah, I'm SO NOT a professional photographer, nor am I a pro milker...but hey, it sounds like they got decent udders, and that's what I was hoping for - nothing championship, but good enough to milk for us is fine...long as they don't fall off, we will be okay!

And thanks for the link! I shall be working on my studying...If only Bambi would kid and then I could post her official udder pics! (she shall be the queen of the IBTC being a pygmy and all...but hey, what can I do?)

Ariel301

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
I've never heard of a case where an udder fell off the goat because it wasn't attached good. :lol:

Your does don't have "show ring" udders, but they look like decent functional girls. I like the udder on the black goat better than the other. The rear attachment does look low and the escutcheon (the arch of the legs where the udder sits) is narrow, low, and comes to a point--if you were breeding for "ideal" udders you'd want it wide, high and arched.

Like this:
goats004-1.jpg

The top of the escutcheon arch is very high up and wide and the udder is tightly attached.

Not like this:
SANY0177.jpg

The escutcheon is narrow and comes to a point, it is also really low and there's pretty much NO rear attachment on this doe, her udder is really saggy.

But that said, there are certainly "ugly" udders which milk fantasically and nice showring udders that don't produce well at all.