Trying to learn about udders....PICS and ?'s...

GrowURown

Ridin' The Range
Reaction score
It's not just Scarlett pinching her legs together whistling to the tune of "NO milk for you my friend'...? Okay....good to know...didn't know what a eustcheon....whatever, I give up on spelling THAT....was...and HOW does one pronounce that word? God bless...couldn't we just call that a crotch? Or "udder hanger spot"? That word is impossible! But all good to know....been wondering what people were talking about...google gives WAY too much for me to follow...I have reading comprehension issues - pics and little blurbs do me best sometimes

See, personally, I find Scarletts udder to be much perkier to my eye - blown teat and all - and all men like perky I guess :p I thought Mammy was a little saggy - though that's just me I suppose...

And YES I do worry about them falling off! The belly of these goats is just a bucket away from the ground at all times! How can I not worry? One speed bump in the road and it's over baby!

GrowURown

Ridin' The Range
Reaction score
lol...es like the letter S...cutch...like crutch with out the R...un...like UNbelievably hard to say! ES-CUTCH-UN! I CAN do it! Or in my book....the rear udder hanger! words regarding goats should just be easy since taking care of them is so hard! That's my vote anyways....

GrowURown

Ridin' The Range
Reaction score
okay...so I finally got coordinated and took some wonderful pictures of my ladies udders...no babies for 12 FULL HOURS...you should have HEARD my YARD this morning! The kids were MAD!

Anyways...I would like formal, honest responses...let me know what you think and if I am am correct....

First up we have Bambi - TINY..but gives a TON of milk I think...got nearly a whole quart this morning after these were taken. I think for the back and the front she looks pretty good all around...not perfect...but good...opinions please?

IMG_0946.jpg

IMG_0947.jpg

Then we have Mammy...still using hobbles and a bucket to keep her in one place...but she IS getting better. I think the way it sticks out in the rear just below the escutcheon "area" is odd...see how her udder kinda pokes out right below her girl parts? Maybe I just like 'em perky and round...someone tell me what you think....she by FAR has the prettiest teats and is easiest to milk IF she stands still....torn between her and Bambi as my best 2:

IMG_0948.jpg

IMG_0949.jpg

Then there is Scarlett - or as I call her Queen Wompy Teat! She came that way...know knew why...could been anything...wompy teat aside, she's not really my favorite, even on her good side...she's kinda pinched together back in what I THINK is the ecutcheon spot...and her udder doesn't come NEARLY as far up as the other 2...and her good teat is not all that great compared to Mammy. Granted, the wompy teat is the easiest to milk as I can actually get a grip on it...but yeah...not my favorite...just not anything special their...what do ya'll think:

IMG_0950.jpg

IMG_0951.jpg

Okay...I am learning and only have my own to really go on. and NO I didn't shave them...I am NOT offering up MY trimmers to teat shaving...wife has to go get trimmers or no teats shall be shaven around here! I have to draw the line somewhere...there it is...right before "shaving teats with the trimmers I use on my moustache" I allowed "shaving of the goats head prior to disbudding" but I stop at teats...so please work with me and my hairy teats...tell me what you think...

I've been SUPER BUSY - I got a job I REALLY LIKE now...but the hours have been a change, so I don't have much time to lurk or hang out...just bug people behind the scenes...

if I had to place them in a contest of the three...I would give my votes as follows:

Mammy wins...Bambis a close second only due to her exceptionally tiny teats...and Scarlett is DEAD LAST...

But I am asking publicly...laugh at me or with me or just tell me how ya feel....what do you think about my teats?

I just wanta see if I have this right....

aggieterpkatie

The Shepherd
Reaction score
I think I would agree with you. Mammy has a very nice udder, IMO. Bambi's is nice too, but her teat placement isn't quite as nice as Mammy's.

GrowURown

Ridin' The Range
Reaction score
Does teat placement get better with time/future kiddings ever? or is it always the same? just wondering...I THINK that is what i have heard/read...but I dunno...I ask because this is Bambi's first time...she's a FF...lol...double FF...teats...it's like saying sperm whale in front of kids...I HAVE TO LAUGH when I say it!

SDGsoap&dairy

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
Bambi could use a higher rear udder and better teat placement, but her fore udder made me do a double take. Talk about extension! She has a BEAUTIFUL fore. :thumbsup

chandasue

Overrun with beasties
Reaction score
GrowURown said:
Does teat placement get better with time/future kiddings ever? or is it always the same? just wondering...I THINK that is what i have heard/read...but I dunno...I ask because this is Bambi's first time...she's a FF...lol...double FF...teats...it's like saying sperm whale in front of kids...I HAVE TO LAUGH when I say it!
I'm no expert on show udders since I don't show but I read a lot, some say too much... ANYway, since she's FF she might really surprise you next time. Her teats will likely get longer and easier to milk although the rear attachment won't change from my understanding. My Nestle keeps improving with each freshening. Her FF was a pathetic lactation-short and unwilling to be milked, second was a huge improvement and I'm looking forward to what she does after her 3rd come July. Her rear attachment is similar to Bambi's and that has never improved, but her teats are much easier to milk and are already looking longer and than last year as she's starting to build her udder.

SDGsoap&dairy

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
I don't see a problem with Bambi's area of attachment from what I can see, she just lacks height. It would be a little easier to see (if you were interested) if you gave them a dairy clip.

GrowURown

Ridin' The Range
Reaction score
LOL...dairy clip...I'm doing good to get them to stand still for milking! We may try tho...I might be convinced....now all I wanta know is this:

I have figured out WHAT/WHERE to look when people say ESCUTCHEON....but by the term "LACKS HEIGHT"...could you describe it? I THINK I see a difference...but I wanta be sure...a definition for the lay person if you would...PLEASE :) AND THANK YOU!