Turkeys...Those Big Feathered Dogs

rjohns39

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
Here's a silly question... Ralphie, how do you cook your birds? Conventional wisdom says low and slow--but I found an 18th century recipe that called for hot and fast. I've been unable to get heritage birds until I grew them myself. So I'm planning on experimenting. Always interested in your thoughts.

Finnie

Herd Master
Reaction score
As far as blackhead goes, I don't have another place for the turkeys to live that is predator proof and has water available and shelter. Maybe this just isn't meant to be.
I wouldn't rule out having turkeys just yet. Ask your local county extension office if there have been any reports of blackhead in your area. Of course, they might not know if people don't report it, but if it doesn't exist in your area, then you don't need to worry about it.

babsbag

Herd Master
Reaction score
@Finnie Good point. I asked at the feed store and got a blank stare in reply. I will look for the extension office and see what they know. Thanks

Duckling and Spider

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
I wouldn't rule out having turkeys just yet. Ask your local county extension office if there have been any reports of blackhead in your area. Of course, they might not know if people don't report it, but if it doesn't exist in your area, then you don't need to worry about it.
Thank you! I wanted to say that earlier, but I was so sure that I was wrong about who to contact.

Finnie

Herd Master
Reaction score
@Finnie Good point. I asked at the feed store and got a blank stare in reply. I will look for the extension office and see what they know. Thanks
Yeah, I thought about telling you to ask at the feed store if they know anyone who raises chickens and turkeys together, but I didn't think it would be much of a lead. BUT, if you stalk other feed buyers there, you might see someone buying turkey feed (game starter?) and ask them if they have chickens too.

Finnie

Herd Master
Reaction score
Thank you! I wanted to say that earlier, but I was so sure that I was wrong about who to contact.
I think I maybe Ralphie once said that his state vet that does the testing doesn't even know where blackhead is and isn't. (It might not have been Ralphie. Maybe it was someone on my state thread.)

So county Ag extension and state vets might not know, but that's where you can try to ask.

Duluthralphie

Ridin' The Range
Reaction score
Blackhead requires earthworms at one point in their cycle. No earthworms, No Blackhead. I live in the middle of a sand dune, A worm can't get within 10 miles of me....