Turning horses out to pasture in spring

miss_thenorth

Overrun with beasties
Reaction score
While talking to locals about how long they let their horses out on pasture, I'm getting alot of different feed back.

All winter they were kept in the paddock, and last week, I started out with three hourse per day out in pasture. They will be three hours for about a week, and then increase by an hour every week, until they are up to 8ish hours. We don't have alot of pasture, so I will still feed them morning and night, when we get to the eight.

What all are you doing?

freemotion

Self Sufficient Queen
Reaction score
A sensitive horse can founder on three hours of grazing if it is the first exposure in the spring, when the grass is extra lush. I was always more cautious, maybe half hour for 3-4 days (twice a day if I had time), then an hour for a few days, then two for a few days. Once I was up to three, that was pretty much good to go.

I would also put them out at first only after they were quite full of breakfast or lunch, so they would not be quite so voracious.

Of course, it all depends on the quality of the pasture.

I have an extra-cautious personality, too! :rolleyes:

Chirpy

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
My gelding can founder on new spring grass - so when it comes time to put him out I start with a half hour the first and second days, then an hour each day for about a week; then two hours for a week and then three hours for a week and then he's always been good to go and is out all the time.

So - that almost full month before he's out all day.

My mare has never had any problems just being put out but I still work up to her full time by starting with about two hours a day for a week and then four hours for a week and then full time.

I'd rather be cautious also.

miss_thenorth

Overrun with beasties
Reaction score
Wow! I thought I was being cautious! My horses havent had a problem, but the way of most farmers around here, say they go out for about 4-5 hours a day to start. I always send them out on a full belly, but I'm glad I asked! Thank you!!

akane

Just born
Reaction score
Mine are never penned where there is no access to grass. In the winter of course there is none but as soon as it starts to grow they start finding the new shoots. Once the rest of the pastures get tall enough I just open the gates and stop putting out hay. My horses are only stalled in bad weather and only at night so they forage 24/7. No grain, very little hay, and 24/7 access to grass except the few months in winter when they have free choice grass hay with BOSS for a supplement. I never control grass consumption and in 10years we've only had 1 horse founder who turned out to have a metabolic disorder and will founder on a mouthful of just about anything.

When we get a new horse that has not been pastured we do adjust them to it by starting them in an arena with minimal access to grass. Then letting them into a nearby small paddock for increasing amounts of time starting with 2hrs per day.

CupidsDelite

Exploring the pasture
Reaction score
It makes a lot of difference what kind of grass you are turning them out on. Do you know what grass the pasture is primarily?