Types of Hay...and minerals?

Genipher

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
I've been scrolling through old posts, trying to find answers to my questions before "bugging" the forum with same-old queries. However, I can't seem to find a couple of answers and I'm getting a bit tired (and lazy) about searching through the archives. So forgive me if this has been asked a bajillion times...

We're planning on getting our first goats and I'm trying to find the "right" kind of hay for them. In our area of Oregon there seems to be alfalfa hay ($15/bale), orchard hay ($4.50/bale), timothy hay ($8/bale) and canarygrass (1000# for $90...$/bale?). I want to keep things simple (hay, oats, minerals, water) and my first thought was to get alfalfa. But it's just too darned expensive! What would be the best hay for full-time munching (for the goat to munch, not me :p)?

Also, I keep reading that goats need loose minerals...but I never hear what those minerals are. Salt? Soda? What?

If it helps, I'm looking to get Lamanchas or Sannens.

Pearce Pastures

Barn Babe
Reaction score
There are several brands of minerals out there and as you learn more about goats and about their needs for your area, you might do some ingredient comparison. You do want a mineral designed for goats though, not for sheep, deer or anything else because goats do require a great deal more of copper than other animals. Also, you do not want to use a salt or sulfur, in block or loose form. They don't need it and these can cause other health issues.

Here, we have both loose minerals (Manna Pro from Tractor Supply Company) and a SOFT mineral block (not the hard kind). I am also going to begin giving additional copper to ours because it seems they need it and our water is high in iron/sulfur are showing it.

OneFineAcre

Herd Master
Reaction score
I'll answer your hay question best I can.

Some feed their goats alfalfa all of the time.

We do not. We provide ours free choice coastal burmuda hay which is a grass hay. We pay about $35 for a 4x4 round bale which is around 800 pounds. A 5x5 round bale would weigh around 1000 lbs. I'm not familiar with canary grass.

We feed our lactating does a supplement of alfalfa hay, and we also provide alfalfa to any animals whose condition needs improving.

So, while some do feed alfalfa exclusively it is not necessary to have health goats.

Genipher

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
Any idea on how much grass hay 2 goats will go through every month (Lamancha breed)?

I feel like such a dunce on the minerals issue. Just to be clear...I shouldn't give them loose salt? But a loose mineral block is okay. Oh, and I've heard that some people leave out loose baking soda. Is that something I should do?

Pearce Pastures

Barn Babe
Reaction score
Correct, a loose goat mineral is ideal but never salt. I do not recommend leaving out free choice baking soda but rather keep it on hand in case you have a goat who needs some. Too much baking soda can inhibit mineral absorption and some studies suggest that goats become dependent on it being in their diet and bloat once if it is not available.

Genipher

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
Ah, good to know about the soda! Thanks!

chicken pickin

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
What is the baking soda needed for? And how would you know when to offer it?

katlovesaandw

Exploring the pasture
Reaction score
We are getting 2 Nig. Dwarf wether babies this weekend.....I was told since ours are just pets, not breeding or dairy or kidding, that grass hay was fine.
It is $15-21 at the feed stores for a 50# bale.
I have found it via some of the farms around us for $5-8 a bale. We are going to try to get it 4 bales at a time to save costs.

My BFF who has a hobby farm and raises goats said 2 pet ones of the mini size should do a bale about every 2 weeks.
We are in Oregon also!!

Pearce Pastures

Barn Babe
Reaction score
That feed store hay is pricey! They can do okay on a grass hay so long as you are supplementing with minerals and perhaps some goat feed, to help cover their nutrient needs and to balance their calcium/phosphorus intake (don't want to mess with urinary calculi).

Latest posts