vaccinations for kids

Suburbanfarmer

Ridin' The Range
Reaction score
OK, I need some advice. I don't vaccinate my two does because we use them for raw milk. But, I do need to vaccinate her two bucklings. What and when? They are 9 days today, so I'm guessing I'm getting into the window of needing to start their vaccinations. I've always only had horses, so this part is new to me. help, please. :)
-K

DonnaBelle

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
When you say you don't vaccinate your two does, I assume you do vaccinate them for CD & T.

This is the one vaccination you will want to give your boys at 3 weeks of age. You can get it at any farm/feed store. 2 ccs, no matter the size of the goat. Sub Q.

DonnaBelle

Suburbanfarmer

Ridin' The Range
Reaction score
DonnaBelle said:
When you say you don't vaccinate your two does, I assume you do vaccinate them for CD & T.

This is the one vaccination you will want to give your boys at 3 weeks of age. You can get it at any farm/feed store. 2 ccs, no matter the size of the goat. Sub Q.

DonnaBelle
No, we don't vaccinate for CD & T either. I chose not to before the birth, so I know I will need to do 2 rounds with the kids, but all the info I find is only for those that have giving it before birth.
-K

Straw Hat Kikos

The Kiko Cowboy
Reaction score
I give CDT's at 4 weeks before kidding, 4 week old kids then again at 8 weeks and once yearly after that. It's the only vaccine I give.

meme

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
How would a vaccine affect the milk?

Suburbanfarmer

Ridin' The Range
Reaction score
meme said:
How would a vaccine affect the milk?
I'm a big believer that everything passes through, and we go as natural as we can. I might come to a place in the future that I change my mind, but for now we are choosing to not vaccinate our does, but we will vaccinate the kids that we plan to sell.

lovinglife

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
None of my does were vaccinated, both farms they came from did at one point then for some reason, which they did not share with me, they both decided to stop.... I have no idea why.

meme

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
We only vaccinate for CDT, and the bare minimum amount at that. We are going to use the injectable BOSE for our pregnant doe, but that's not really a vaccine. We also go the minimum vaccine route for all our dogs and cats. I too believe that less is better. I just never thought of a vaccine affecting us through the milk. Very interesting! I think it's great that you are going the natural route. :thumbsup

Roving Jacobs

Seeing Spots
Reaction score
The state vet I've talked to suggested vaccinating (for CDT) mothers at 4 weeks pre-birth, then the babies at 2 months and 3 months old. For unvaccinated mothers he suggests vaccinating at 2-3 weeks old then boostering 4 weeks later and once more 4 weeks after that.

OSU extension and the Ohio Sheep Improvement Association just did a lecture on sheep and goat vaccination protocols you can watch here if you're interested: http://go.osu.edu/2013Sheep-1

Suburbanfarmer

Ridin' The Range
Reaction score
Roving Jacobs said:
The state vet I've talked to suggested vaccinating (for CDT) mothers at 4 weeks pre-birth, then the babies at 2 months and 3 months old. For unvaccinated mothers he suggests vaccinating at 2-3 weeks old then boostering 4 weeks later and once more 4 weeks after that.

OSU extension and the Ohio Sheep Improvement Association just did a lecture on sheep and goat vaccination protocols you can watch here if you're interested: http://go.osu.edu/2013Sheep-1
Awesome! Thanks for the info! :D

Do you know the dosage? And, I'm assuming subqutaneous?
-K