Very agressive buck

freemotion

Self Sufficient Queen
Reaction score
Yes, it is the language they speak. The one who rams the hardest is the top goat. I have to do this with my alpha doe on occasion, but it only takes a small board or stick across the horns for her.

When I was a kid, it was my job to put does in with the buck...and take does out. I always went in that pen with a piece of 2x4 in my hand!

Roll farms

Spot Master
Reaction score
I won't even keep kids out of an aggressive buck....it's a trait that can be inherited and I prefer peace / safety.

There really are too many nice bucks out there to risk yourself by putting up w/ a mean one.

currycomb

Overrun with beasties
Reaction score
we were given a mean buck, nubian with horns. he would rear and charge, i would side step him, moving his target and went on with my business. the previous owner had made a pet of him and played head butting games when he was a bottle baby, so just had to let him know no games played here. he is now sireing nice kids for a local farmer, no longer attacking people.

()relics

Overrun with beasties
Reaction score
IMO...bottle billys=potentially dangerous billys...they are too friendly. I don't agree with hitting a billy or any animal because it is "misbehaving"..chances are that you or some previous owner caused the problems that you now have to put up with and when you hit them they usually feel obligated to " hit you back" thinking you are playing some goat game with them....My billys don't like me and stay away, I can catch them if needed, but they prefer not to be around me....Just the way I like it... When we show a billy he is kept confined seperately and given the respect he deserves; letting him think that he is "the king of the world" but never letting him ANYWHERE near any does...As previously stated some billys are just too wild and should be removed for your own protection.

Roll farms

Spot Master
Reaction score
As with a dam-raised buck, if you treat them right (and I mean TEACH them what's acceptable), a bottle baby buck *can* be fine.

All 3 of our current bucks were bottle raised, and it's nice to not have to chase them down or manhandle them if I have to treat them on my own.

I sold a 6 yr old Nubian bottle buck last year who was the biggest pup on earth.

ALL bucks can be a handful at breeding time (it's a man thing) but be smart and realize that before you go in there....

I had 2 really nice dam-reared bucks....1 boer and 1 kiko....that had to move on because they were agressive.

I had 1 dam reared buck that wasn't aggressive, but had to be cornered to be vaccinated or get his feet trimmed...and I don't like stressing them out.

Rams, on the other hand....bad idea to bottle raise them suckers.
*rubs bum in memory of a 'pet' ram gone wrong*

landis1659

Exploring the pasture
Reaction score
Our Buck (Buddy) was 2 and half mos. old when we got him from a lady down the street. He was not bottle fed and it took us about another 2 mos. to get him to come to us. After that he was pretty friendly. I yelled at my son-in-law and husband all the time because they thought it was cute to play rough with him. So then after that he used to come and push on my legs and I would just push him back and say no! But that turned into harder push and now a charge in the last couple months. He is a year now as I said before and I can't control him at all now. At over a 100 he just keeps pushing me so much that he threw out my shoulder trying to keep him off off me. I don't even go in there now I let my husband do the feeding and cleaning now, I told him it was his fault he was like this. We wanted to keep him for breeding but if I can't get him under control soon I'm just gonna give him away to someone else. I'm kind of waiting until Lucy his mate has her baby so she won't be all alone. My husband doesn't have the stomick for butchering him. Does anyone know if know can mate a mother and son, I thought it would be too close, like inbreeding?? Otherwise were gonna have to find another male. I found him by accident, then it told a 3 hour drive to find a female. I truely love the breed our Lucy is wonderful. My grandkids play with her all the time. Anyway I'm thinking about trying the squirt bottle trick the one guy said because neither one of them like water. Every time it starts to rain they run for cover.

Thanks everyone for you input, I know where to come for answers now, Pepper

SDGsoap&dairy

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
Roll farms said:
I won't even keep kids out of an aggressive buck....it's a trait that can be inherited and I prefer peace / safety.

There really are too many nice bucks out there to risk yourself by putting up w/ a mean one.
I don't have a buck yet, but that's how I feel about roosters. Our roo has gone after my newfie's butt a few times and she just walked away, but a few days ago he went after her face. She won't tolerate pushy animals around here (dogs or otherwise) so she put her whole mouth around his body, pinned him to the ground and growled. Then she let him up and walked away. He just stood there for a moment, ruffled in his feathers, and had the most defeated look on his face a chicken could possibly have!! :gig He was so shocked!

She used to do the same thing when our other dog was a puppy and got out of line. Occasionally she preforms a much milder version of this correction on the cats when they get too rowdy in the house. Of course, they're cats so they don't care. She ALWAYS has a soft mouth.

I was so pleased with her, that roo needed to be taken down a notch! :clap

cmjust0

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
landis1659 said:
Does anyone know if know can mate a mother and son, I thought it would be too close, like inbreeding??
No, mating a mother to her son isn't like inbreeding -- it is inbreedng.

I guess you could call it 'linebreeding' if it goes well, though.. That's what other folks seem to do.

:lol: :gig :sick :th

(..for the sake of clarity..I wouldn't do that if I were you..)

aggieterpkatie

The Shepherd
Reaction score
cmjust0 said:
landis1659 said:
Does anyone know if know can mate a mother and son, I thought it would be too close, like inbreeding??
No, mating a mother to her son isn't like inbreeding -- it is inbreedng.

I guess you could call it 'linebreeding' if it goes well, though.. That's what other folks seem to do.

:lol: :gig :sick :th

(..for the sake of clarity..I wouldn't do that if I were you..)
I've heard several breeders say you can do it once and not have any ill effects. For example, you could breed a father to a daughter, but not breed those offspring back to the father.

landis1659

Exploring the pasture
Reaction score
That's what I thought. So either way it wouldn't do to keep him around, because I couldn't use him again next year if I wanted to breed his daughter, (hopping we have a girl this year). I would like to have a small herd someday. I haven't found any books that talk about family lines or such. Just what I know about dogs. Thanks Pepper

Latest posts