VERY skinny doe - updated post 38 - bottlejaw :(

elevan

Critter Addict ♥
Reaction score
redtailgal said:
tapes will eat up condition on any critter. Glad you got those things out!

In other critters (and I am pretty sure it would be the same with goats), tapes are bad for a rebound, so I'd be very sure to repeat with another wormer in a couple weeks.
Yep, I would repeat the Valbazen in 10-14 days.

Bunny-kids said:
My dog/cat vet I like better ... he knows he doesn't know goats, but he's willing to learn. His dad retired and left him the business. His dad was a wonderful goat vet, I hear. Sigh.
Your dog / cat vet is more than capable of running fecals for you. He's capable of getting medicines / writing scripts for you. That's a huge chunk of the battle, if he is willing to do those things for you.

Then you would really only need to find someone who can help with stuff that is more major.

Bunny-kids

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
I'm afraid mine was younger than that. :(

So I certainly don't mean that as a comment against anyone who does it that way.

Thanks, and I do hope she can recover. Maybe her mama will give me a couple more just like her next year too, instead of the twin bucklings she gave me this year. One of them especially is an incredibly strong little guy!!! He's already hard to handle and only 6 weeks old.

20kidsonhill

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
Bunny-kids said:
I'm afraid mine was younger than that. :(

So I certainly don't mean that as a comment against anyone who does it that way.

Thanks, and I do hope she can recover. Maybe her mama will give me a couple more just like her next year too, instead of the twin bucklings she gave me this year. One of them especially is an incredibly strong little guy!!! He's already hard to handle and only 6 weeks old.
I had 4 doelings this year kid out at just 12 months of age, 1 of them lost a lot of weight, and the kids aren't doing very well. But I feel confident that she will recover. Good luck with yours. I wouldnt' beat myself up about it.

Bunny-kids

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
20kidsonhill said:
I had 4 doelings this year kid out at just 12 months of age, 1 of them lost a lot of weight, and the kids aren't doing very well. But I feel confident that she will recover. Good luck with yours. I wouldnt' beat myself up about it.
I appreciate that.

I'm almost afraid to tell anyone, but she was 11 months old. Like I said, I keep thinking I should have given her Lute. The only other time I had a doeling that young get in with a buck, I didn't question at all and gave her lute right away (but she was undersized for her age and came to me with health issues).

Her kids aren't doing as well as my other kids, but they are alright. The others are fabulous, and that doe is a wonderful mama, and so far she's given me amazing kids. The doe I'm needing help for here, she didn't feed her kids often at ALL at first. It wasn't rejection, so I hated to step in, but it was like she would schedule them and only feed them when she was ready and for only as long as she wanted, while they followed her around half the time, trying to nurse, and she'd just walk away. After a couple of weeks she settled into being a mama though, and now she wants to know where they are, feeds them often, comes when they cry, and so on. Plus they are eating some hay and browse, so they are coming along alright.

Going to have to see about them and the worms though.

20kidsonhill

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
You haven't mentioned treating for coccidiosis, and a doe this young, really needs to be treated. It is opportunistic, and will take advantage of a young animal stressed out or weakened from another problem. Although I am sure the tapeworms were not helping any.

We have a really tough time with tapeworms on our farm. They can really keep a young doe under the age of 2 on the thin side, and your other animals can look rough coated from them.

Bunny-kids

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
20kidsonhill said:
You haven't mentioned treating for coccidiosis, and a doe this young, really needs to be treated. It is opportunistic, and will take advantage of a young animal stressed out or weakened from another problem. Although I am sure the tapeworms were not helping any.

We have a really tough time with tapeworms on our farm. They can really keep a young doe under the age of 2 on the thin side, and your other animals can look rough coated from them.
Vet tells me she does NOT have cocci ... but ... I'm not sure how far I can trust this vet.

Sigh ... I wonder now if I shouldn't have saved my money on the fecal and just gone ahead. It didn't seem wise, but on the other hand, it hasn't really helped much so far either. I would have assumed barberpole with the whited out eyes and knowing that I had an outbreak a couple of years ago, the rain, and the warm weather.

elevan

Critter Addict ♥
Reaction score
Bunny-kids said:
20kidsonhill said:

Vet tells me she does NOT have cocci ... but ... I'm not sure how far I can trust this vet.

Sigh ... I wonder now if I shouldn't have saved my money on the fecal and just gone ahead. It didn't seem wise, but on the other hand, it hasn't really helped much so far either. I would have assumed barberpole with the whited out eyes and knowing that I had an outbreak a couple of years ago, the rain, and the warm weather.
Sometimes you just have to trust your gut.

Bunny-kids

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
True. Any rate, what's done is done, might as well move forward.

Gave another 8mL Valbazen, another (same) dose liquid multi-B, upped the molasses and red cell, and gave her 30mL of a calcium/phosphorus/vit-D supplement (good quality liquid for humans, that's a human dose - it was all I had on hand).

I also decreased her grain and added alfalfa pellets, and put her back on the clover. She refuses grain/alfalfa, and wants hackberry leaves.

She's getting bottlejaw. :( She did NOT have it yesterday. She's in good spirits though, and fighting me even harder.

Her eyelid has a red rim this evening, which before I didn't even see that. The lids are somewhere between grayish-creamish (not much changed).

I checked the rest of the herd's eyelids. Kids are all pretty good. My one other doe that has had issues in the past is pretty good too (surprisingly). She's never settled. I'm giving her till the end of this year to decide if I keep her. Great bloodlines, but the health isn't that good. My other doe (this one's mama) who kidded is looking further down the scale and I'm probably going to worm her too. I'm probably going to go with Cydectin on her.

So that's where we are. I need to write this stuff in my book and not just here. ;)

elevan

Critter Addict ♥
Reaction score
The bottle jaw will clear up when you get the barberpole worms and anemia under control.

Bunny-kids

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
elevan said:
The bottle jaw will clear up when you get the barberpole worms and anemia under control.
Nothing to panic over then? I've only seen it once before, in a young very weak doe kid, and she was at death's door when she got it.

I had another doe a few years back that KEPT a heavy barberpole load, seemed nothing I did could clear her up or get her FAMACHA looking good, and she never even had it.

So I was worried that my doe developed it AFTER her first worming, when she is looking a tiny bit better.