water for bottle babies?

redfarmhouse

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
Ok, this may be a stupid question but I don't want to make any stupid newbie mistakes (although, I'm sure I will). Do I need to put a water dish in the bottle babies pen? They will be 10 and 12 days old when we bring them home on Sunday. Also, when do I start offering grain or hay?

phoenixmama

Ridin' The Range
Reaction score
Offer water and hay from the time you have them. They may or may not touch the hay for a little bit, but definitely have it out. I wouldn't give them grain, but that seems to be a personal preference for people. I also offer alfalfa pellets, but again...that's another personal preference depending on feed costs and personal opinions.

themrslove

Ridin' The Range
Reaction score
I would start offering hay right away. And yes for water. :)
Our bottle babies we have all the same free choice things that the "big goats" have. Water, hay, alfalfa pellets, minerals...etc. :)

freemotion

Self Sufficient Queen
Reaction score
Yes, by that age they should be eating a little and tasting the water.

Ariel301

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
Mine start showing interest in water, grain, and hay (whatever mom's eating since I dam-raise my kids) usually from 4-7 days old. I keep a shallow water dish in the doe/kid pen when they are little so they can drink from it but not drown in it. They will share their moms' food as well. I don't normally feed grain specifically to my kids, but they do nibble at the does' food and that's fine.