We did it!!

FallViewFarms

Exploring the pasture
Reaction score
9336_img_3751.jpg

This is Colash from behind, nothing to get excited about, right?

9336_img_3757.jpg

This is my Lily Love last night, no 'drop' yet, right?

dhansen

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
I always look at the udder to see if it's tight. The goo sometimes means soon, but not always!

FallViewFarms

Exploring the pasture
Reaction score
They are here and I'm starting to lose it a bit. Worried about kids not nursing. Shouldn't they be nursing now? it's been almost 2 hours!!

Pearce Pastures

Barn Babe
Reaction score
Woohoo!!

Not nursing? Are they trying or is mom no letting them? They usually are up and looking for a nipple right away and it is recommended that they get some colostrum within the first hour.

DonnaBelle

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
You may have to hold baby with one hand under it (towards chest) and then guide the nipple in the mouth. Try to squirt a little milk into the mouth.

DH is usually around to hold Mom still if that's the problem.

Some does are really weird the first time they freshen. It's like, what IS that thing I just produced and what am I supposed to do with it.

Did you dip navels in iodine yet??

Also do you have some goat nutra drench or bovi sera on hand?

DonnaBelle

FallViewFarms

Exploring the pasture
Reaction score
I still can't post under 'Blarneyeggs', but this is me.

I have the Goat Nutridrench, but frankly, I forgot about it in all the chaos yesterday. My other girl, Lily kidded at about 5:00pm. Then some thunderstorms came rolling in, DH and my 14 yr old son left for a hockey game and I was frantically throwing tarps over out buildings with the wind whipping up ~although I think you all know the drill. I did give both dams warm water laced with dandelion syrup (my neighbor made it and sent it over) I figured since I didn't have molasses on hand, that this would be the most natural sweetener I had on hand.

I was slipping over the edge into hysteria, when I talked to Pearce Pastures ~who calmed me down enough with her wisdom that I could function. I did dip navels. Tied them off with tooth floss and cut, then dipped ~just the three navels that were dragging.

Colash is letting the kids nurse, but they are really having trouble staying on. They latch on for a minute, then stop. I see that her udder isn't as big as Lily's but I've been able to squeeze some colostrum out, so there's 'something' there.

Colash and 'Fat Albert'

9336_dsc_0093.jpg

2nd boy:

9336_dsc_0098.jpg

Lily and her 2~ one girl, one boy:

9336_dsc_0112.jpg

Pearce Pastures

Barn Babe
Reaction score
Oh, they are fantastically pretty! :love Glad to hear momma is nursing. They will get stronger and stay on longer. Pretty normal for them to suck for a few second, then run along, then come back for a few more. And her milk coming in will help. Congrats on all the healthy babies.