Weak calf

jhm47

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
When you say a "bottle of milk", how big is the bottle? Also, when you say "milk", are you referring to whole cows milk, or milk replacer? If it's replacer, is it the good replacer, or the cheap stuff? How are his stools? Runny? Hard and dry? Is he eating starter? How about water? Is it available for him?

We will need this information before we will be able to help you. Good luck!

redtailgal

Reaction score
Can you give a little more info?]

How did he end up on the bottle? And did he get any colostrum?

What sort of milk is going into the bottle? how much is a bottle?

How are the poops? runny? what color?

Is he on pasture or stalled?

Have you checked his temp?

Is he around other calves?

Has he been moved (as in hauled) anywhere recently?

A shot of vit b12 complex will help stimulate the appetite, but lack od appetite is a symptom of something, no point in treating symtoms unless you find out the cause.

edit: lol jhm we must have started at the same time!

purecountrycow

Exploring the pasture
Reaction score
Normal size bottle for calfs,,2 qt. milk replacer from TSC. stool is runny and wet and yes thers water outside availble but most the time he lays in barn. Hes not eatting starter,,hes not eatting anything.

purecountrycow

Exploring the pasture
Reaction score
I bought him from another guy when he was 2 weeks old about 2 weeks ago so I dont know if he got the colostrum or not. Stool is runny and yellow. He does have pasture. Hes in with another angus calf and shes nice and healthy. Havent checked his temp. About what should his temp be?

redtailgal

Reaction score
Between 100 and 102 is pretty normal (taken rectaly of course)

I really think your calf is scouring. If my calf is gonna have the squirts, I prefer the yellow kind. They are usually easy to treat. THis isn't something to play around with, esp is he is not wanting to eat. You need to work on this now, so that you dont end up having to tube feed in the meds (that is not fun). Here is a page that will offer you some help

http://www.backyardherds.com/web/viewblog.php?id=2952-calves-scours

and here is a page that should help you prevent scours in the future (keep in mind that EVERYONE with calves is gonna get scours from time to time)

http://www.backyardherds.com/web/viewblog.php?id=2952-bottle-calves

purecountrycow

Exploring the pasture
Reaction score
Well I had a package or Resorb from TSC for scours and tried feeding him that but he didnt drink much. But while trying to feed him ,,he took a **** and it came out a dull yellow color and about the thickness of pudding. He almost acts like hes costipated. Now what?

purecountrycow

Exploring the pasture
Reaction score
oh and he has a runny nose and cant breath real good though his nose while drinking from bottle.

redtailgal

Reaction score
You need to take his temp and get him off the milk. He needs to come off the grass, be stalled and given hay (no grain, no grass) and water.

He sounds dehydrated more than constipated. Get some elctrolytes in him pretty quick.

He also may have some Pneumonia as well. Have you had to force him to drink? Or have you tried giving him anything with a syringe? If you have, he may have aspiration pneumonia. if you havnet forced him to eat or drink, the he may have just gotten down with the scours......laying around feeling puny will give a calf pneumonia pretty quick.

Now, if he were mine:

I would stop all milk and follow the guidlines on the Scours page I provided you earlier (dont forget to get probios or yogurt). I would also give him sulfa tablets (found at the tractor store or the vets office) according to the pacakge instructions. This sulfa MAY help with the snots, so I'd just give this a day or two.

If there is no improvment within 48 hours, I'd consult with my vet and ask for some Nuflor. I'd stop the sulfa and do the full run of nuflor.

This is sounding pretty serious. You will probably want to get started gathering your supplies NOW. A calf in this situation can and will go down very quickly, meaning that if you do nothing, it is quite possible that you will have a dead calf by Monday.

You will need:
electrolytes (pedialyte is fine) get enough to last until Monday, around 6 quarts.
sulfa pills
probios or live cultured yogurt

Please check his temp