Weaning Advice

anythingbutsandy

Exploring the pasture
Reaction score
My bottle baby is a Spanish/Boer and is approximately 8 weeks old. She's on a milk replacer (Ultra 24) and she's doing well. She gets a bottle in the morning and one in the evening. She is also eating grass and leaves and grain. When and how should I go about weaning her off the bottle?

mully

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
For a few days i would just give one feeding then skip a day for several days then quit. Give more hay than grain. She should do well !!

anythingbutsandy

Exploring the pasture
Reaction score
Thanks for the advice. I'm guess I'm going to have to abide by tough love if I reduce her to 1 bottle a day. She sure does let me know every morning & afternoon that it's time for HER BOTTLE!!! I guess it will be kind of the same way I let my 2 legged baby cry when I made her sleep in her own bed? And she has hay to graze on in her pen but she ignores it.

FarmerDenise

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
I am just reducing the amount I feed at each feeding. That way they still have the comfort of us going out and feeding them their bottles. We have one more week to go. I think for the last couple of days I will skip feedings.

RockyToggRanch

Overrun with beasties
Reaction score
Mine were used to me sticking a bottle in their faces as soon as they saw me. So I started weaning by setting down their bottles and giving them a handful of hay first and petting their heads. Then each day I did more chores before bottle. I Cut down to one btl a day for a week, so when it was time for that evening bottle we went for a walk instead. Back to the barn, evening chores, no one even missed bottle time. I cut off the morning bottle with little complaint from them. They got lots of grian and hay.

It's been a couple of weeks and they're just to the point where they don't try to suck my hands when I pet them. They're growing up:)