weaning at 4 weeks?

lovinglife

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
If my babies are eating good (usually the case) yes, I wean at 4 weeks. Mine have done well at this age.

brentr

Ridin' The Range
Reaction score
I've weaned at 4 weeks with no issues as well. As long as the buns are eating/drinking well, there is no concern. If I can, I let the litter stay with mom a bit longer, but when I've shortened my breeding cycle a few times, 4 wks worked just fine for weaning. That way I gave the doe 2 wks rest before next kindling.

feed grass

Reaction score
thoughts on re-breeding the doe at 3 weeks of kit age-- and weaning at 4- so she has 3 weeks to prep for the next litter?

lovinglife

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
during peak breeding weather I do a one week breed back, ween at 4 weeks gives them one week between. My does have not lost condition for the short spell that I breed this way.

feed grass

Reaction score
lovinglife said:
during peak breeding weather I do a one week breed back, ween at 4 weeks gives them one week between. My does have not lost condition for the short spell that I breed this way.
so you would do this, 2x a year during the spring and fall?? but during the summer and winter-- give them extra time rest? like rebreed at 3 weeks, wean at 4 weeks.?

lovinglife

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
I will breed this way until it just plain gets too hot. I am not home during the day to do all the frozen bottles and such so I just give them the really hot months off. Then start up again when it cools down until it gets too darn cold to enjoy being out to do chores. So I guess they get three months off in the summer and two in the winter. This method keeps me in freezer food all year long, well along with everything else we have. For us it is complete rest in winter and summer, then complete production the rest of the time. Some will keep breeding in the heat, not me, I can get enough during the other seasons.

lexibot

Exploring the pasture
Reaction score
Every one I know here always weans at a month old. I have done it with complete success (both with purchasing, selling, and processing for meat). I heard that extra time on the mother could help them size up better though, so I plan to test that theory. It makes sense since kids (goats), and calves do, so why not?

KittyKatMe

Exploring the pasture
Reaction score
Wow, I am surprised! I wean at 6 weeks of age, always have with no problems. Yet many owners and breeders are constantly telling me to wait until 8 - sometimes even 10-12 weeks of age!

imaculprit

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
What if you take in your costs as consideration? Such as, is it cheaper to let them suckle for say 8 weeks as opposed to weening at 4 wks and feeding the mother and the rugrats feed? :idunno

Latest posts