WEBSITES, new and wanting

ClintDowns

Exploring the pasture
Reaction score
Hello all. I am new to the rabbit business but I am very serious about it. I would like to get me a website. I know nothing about websites so any information at all about how, and where I can start me up a website.

thanks to all in advance.

secuono

Herd Master
Reaction score
Lots of places let you make a free site. Later you can buy your name or domain and it will be 100% yours.
I've had/have a site in each of these. Lots of great tools to help you, too.
Webs.com
Weebly.com
Tripod.com

Bunny-kids

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
Just don't bother promoting it a lot (backlinks and such) until you get your own name.

You can set up a website on blogger or wordpress. Blogger will probably get you a fair amount of traffic just from other bloggers. (And it doesn't have to be a blog, it can be an actual website ... just choose "pages" when you add them.) Blogger is much simpler to learn than wordpress. BTW, having a blog is a good way to get people to visit, AND to promote your site through the search engines. Google likes fresh content.

For that matter, if you are serious about it ... the domain purchase only runs about $2 a year for the first year if you want a .info while a .com or .net will run you about $8 a year. Hosting will run you anywhere from about $3 a month to $10 a month. So really, buying your own domain is cheap. If it were me (and it has been many times, LOL) what I usually do it to spend the few dollars to buy the domain, and you can host it at blogger.com for free (your're just locked into their templates, which isn't bad for someone starting up ... they are varied enough and easy to use, they only become a problem when you want to SERIOUSLY promote your site and they are limited for that). Then if and when you decide you want to do more with it (blogger.com may suit your needs just fine though), then you can host it yourself and have total freedom with it. But you can do about 90% of what you're likely to want to do with blogger for free.

The advantage to having your own domain name is that you don't have to "start over" if you later decide you ARE serious about it. Really, to me, I'd say it's worth the $2-8 to protect all the time and exposure you develop for the site up to that point. I have ended up abandoning one or two, but generally I decide to keep them and it's been worth it. For that matter, you can more easily monetize a private site if you want, or even possibly sell it if you decide you don't want it anymore, as long as you've bought your own domain. You're very limited in making money from it if it's a free domain.

Good luck with it. :)

redtailgal

Reaction score
You can set up a free business site on Facebook.......it's great free networking. Everytime someone likes it, their friends will see your Rabbitry name in the "news feed".

redtailgal

Reaction score
Yeah, Wix is good. I use them for an online photography portfolio. Wix can be troublesome when designing though.

SmallFarmGirl

Smiley Crazy
Reaction score
redtailgal said:
Yeah, Wix is good. I use them for an online photography portfolio. Wix can be troublesome when designing though.
Your right but, they did update it not to long ago and now it's better!

bunnylovincowgirl

Ridin' The Range
Reaction score
I wouldn't recommend Wix. There are a few of us still on dialup - like me - and I just cannot load a Wix site no matter how long I try.

Weebly is excellent. They don't place ads on your site like freewebs does, and they have a lot of good options. If you want a free site I would recommend Weebly.

I also do custom site design. Just finished this site for a Holland Lop Breeder in Florida

One tip - once you do get a site up, be sure to submit it to as many breeder directories as you can find. In my experience, the biggest source of traffic for rabbitry sites is linking from breeders directories.