Weldman from SE Montana

Weldman

Herd Master
Reaction score
Don't have any herds yet unless you include ducks, geese and guinea fowl, but that's why I am here is I'm going to start one of something just on the fence of which direction. Got 104 acres here, don't want cattle or horses as plenty run free here plus according to mathematics 640 acres / 13 inches of rain a year equals 49.23 acres a head and I don't have enough acreage. So seems goats are on the list, sheep are on the list and I'm leaning towards Angora goats. There is future possibility of getting 300 acres attached to the acreage we have and that would get bison. Though smalls steps I need a income besides what already I got to pay for the bison side of things.
Currently have 15 guinea fowl, 27 Khaki Campbell ducks and 5 African geese to keep everyone inline. I call that the Waddle Wattle Inn for the birds.
Stockpond2.jpeg

Weldman

Herd Master
Reaction score
Welcome from the "western side" of Va.... like the "gutter" /water catcher for the "pond"....
Thanks, it was all built from recycled/reused materials except the exterior wall siding. Grain bin roof, wood from house torn down, windows from a RV, and door from a grain bin.
Welcome from So Cal! You're drier than here, we get ~ 18 inches a year on average.
I like your plan, and a good one to grow into.
Thanks, we get less rain here, but they don't include the inches of snow we get. Guess since nothing can grow unless you wait till it melts, catch it then irrigate with it, it's useless.

SageHill

Herd Master
Reaction score
Thanks, we get less rain here, but they don't include the inches of snow we get. Guess since nothing can grow unless you wait till it melts, catch it then irrigate with it, it's useless.
As I recall a foot of snow is the same as an inch of rain. Yeah - it has to melt of course. Unless it sublimates then totally useless.

Weldman

Herd Master
Reaction score
Also forgot to mention, going to toss some bees on one of my properties too is in the mix. We originally bought all this acreage for keeping neighbors away, now we are trying to make use of it all to pay for itself and then some.