**Well 2 goats with CL, What next?****

Straw Hat Kikos

The Kiko Cowboy
Reaction score
When you say it stays in the soil, when winter come would the frost and snow kill it? Because it getting really cold up her in Maine.
I'm not sure if it would or not. I do know that under IDEAL conditions it can live in the soil for three years.

And the only way it can be passed to the other animal, is if the negative goat ingests or gets the pus from a positive goat in a wound they have? Am i correct?
Correct.

Now to clean the stall areas can I use Bleach? and will have have to wash very thoroughly to get all the bleach out as to not hurt the goat if they for some reason lick the walls?
Yes!! Use bleach. It should kill it as Bleach kills everything. Just be sure to rinse it real well and they should be good there.

My last question is they can get it from drinking out of the same water troth can they?
No. The only way it is transmitted is by direct contact with the puss. As long as there is no puss in the water they will be fine.

As long as your goats do not have a lump or an abscess then there have no chance of getting CL so no need to worry. You really should re-test them as there are false positives.

Arabiansnob

Ridin' The Range
Reaction score
Straw Hat Kikos said:
When you say it stays in the soil, when winter come would the frost and snow kill it? Because it getting really cold up her in Maine.
I'm not sure if it would or not. I do know that under IDEAL conditions it can live in the soil for three years.

And the only way it can be passed to the other animal, is if the negative goat ingests or gets the pus from a positive goat in a wound they have? Am i correct?
Correct.

Now to clean the stall areas can I use Bleach? and will have have to wash very thoroughly to get all the bleach out as to not hurt the goat if they for some reason lick the walls?
Yes!! Use bleach. It should kill it as Bleach kills everything. Just be sure to rinse it real well and they should be good there.

My last question is they can get it from drinking out of the same water troth can they?
No. The only way it is transmitted is by direct contact with the puss. As long as there is no puss in the water they will be fine.

As long as your goats do not have a lump or an abscess then there have no chance of getting CL so no need to worry. You really should re-test them as there are false positives.
I am deffinatley will! My lasy question is, Say the both really have CL, the positive doe has been rinning with my doe herd since may. My buck has been with a negitive doe who I kept with him to try to get her pregnant (she has never been able to get pregnant) How much time would it take for them to acually positive or it to acually start? Also I have never seen a lump or abscess on the 2 positive goats? Is it usual they they dont appear sometimes?

Straw Hat Kikos

The Kiko Cowboy
Reaction score
I am deffinatley will! My lasy question is, Say the both really have CL, the positive doe has been rinning with my doe herd since may. My buck has been with a negitive doe who I kept with him to try to get her pregnant (she has never been able to get pregnant) How much time would it take for them to acually positive or it to acually start? Also I have never seen a lump or abscess on the 2 positive goats? Is it usual they they dont appear sometimes?
It takes many months for a lump to show up after they have contracted CL. Most of the time it takes 6-8 months for a lump to show up after getting CL. It can be as little as 2 months but that is VERY rare.

Sure. It can happen. They may have CL but the never have a lump, thus never spreading it to anyone. If that's the case then that's the same as having a CL- goat wouldn't it? ;)

Latest posts