What are you canning or freezing right now? (2010)

Raiquee

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
Well I caved and got the book. Full of wonderful recipes! I had a few questions tho:

I am in love with the idea of the pie filling! But their rhubarb pie filling has apples in it? I wasn't intending on making it without the apples and was wondering if that would mess up processing time?

Also, anyone have a good recipe for Giardiniera? You know those italian pickled veggie mix (usually spicy?) Thanks! :)

chandasue

Overrun with beasties
Reaction score
Messing with the recipes is generally not recommended due to the need for a certain amount of acidity in order to keep well if you're using water bath canning method. If it's pressure canning then you're probably safe but I don't know what the time on that would be. Hope someone else with more experience chimes in though. I'd like to know as well!

michickenwrangler

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
Dehydrating Traverse City Bing cherries now, I'll be canning locally grown strawberry jam once it gets dark and it starts cooling down.

Emmetts Dairy

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
:frow I will be making relishes..many differant kinds...black rasberry jam...and pickles..green beans...love the fall canning in NH....we have apples and pumpkins..yum...love them both...you can doo soooo much with both...great gifts for the holidays....DONT be afraid to can...been done forever...and you know when the lids dont seal...very obvious...try it!!! Its fabulous to have something from the summer in the middle of the winter!!! And the jams are soooo easy...really..

YOU GUYS ARE MAKING ME HUNGRY!!! LOL

greeneggsandham

Just born
Reaction score
I've put up strawberry jam, salsa, pickles, stuffed hot peppers so far. Will be doing blueberry, peach, and red pepper jam.

raro

Just born
Reaction score
Hi there,
I'm new to this forum. I love canning! I have a pressure canner, but I don't use it until the fall because it heats up the house terribly. I canned pie fillings this week...apple from our apple tree and blueberry. I wanted to do peach pie filling, but couldn't find a good source of peaches around here. I love being able to open a jar in the winter...it's like opening summer!

Water bath canning is not something that can make you sick, in my opinion. Pressure canning, yes, but if you do something wrong with a jar of peaches, they'll mold/turn weird colors/leak long beforehand, so you can tell at a glance if something is wrong. And if you taste them anyway, they'll be fermented and you'll tell by the taste and smell if there's a problem. I've been canning for years and as long as you follow the instructions, you'll be fine.

Chickenfruit, I wish you lived nearby, I'd be happy to teach you!

MysticScorpio82

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
Last night I made my very first jam! It was from the left over strawberries in my fridge. I am so proud, I got it to gel up nicely WITHOUT pectin!! :D Now I can't wait to start making more jam out of the blackberries I have growing wild around here...