What are your goats' names and why?

MrsCowher

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
Hello,

I'm wondering what you have named your goats and what the reason behind the names is.

We named our 1-2 year old girl Loretta, after the country singer Loretta Lynn. We wanted to use female country singer names and I love Loretta Lynn.

We named our 4 month old, who was born on our wedding anniversary, June. We named her both for the month she was born in and after the country singer June Carter Cash.

We named one of our 2.5 year olds Anita and the other Helen. We did that because they are the real June Carter's sisters. We wanted to be able to say we're going to see the Carter sisters instead of just the goats. :)

What about you?

Sincerely,
Karen

Straw Hat Kikos

The Kiko Cowboy
Reaction score
I have 6 goats. Four Kikos and two Nigerains. One buck of each. All mine came with names except my Kiko buck. I did rename my Nigerian buck but he still have his other name on his papers.

Kiko buck -- Moses -- I named him. Why that name? idk I just like it.
Kiko doe -- Alana -- She came with it. Not a big fan of it.
Kiko doe -- Sis -- Came with it and I love it!!
Kiko doe -- Arianna -- Came with it. I didn't like it at first but I really like it now. She's my baby.
Nigerian buck -- Caleb, real name Ben Rembrandt -- Didn't liek the name Ben for him and I liked the name Caleb so I renamed him.
Nigerian doe -- Coco -- Came with it. I was nto a fan at all and still don't love the name but there's no way I'm renaming her.

marlowmanor

Reaction score
We have 4 goats right now.
BlackJack ~ pygerian (pygmy/ND) wether. He was our first goat and we got him for the kids so they named him.
Bob ~ BlackJacks twin brother and also a wether. When we first got him he went to my DHs uncle who was battling cancer to be a companion. They named him. When DHs uncle passed away we brought Bob back to join our herd. My inlaws have told us we are not allowed to sell Bob because he was my DHs uncles goat so Bob is here for life it seems.
Bailey ~ pygmy doe. Her original name was Sydney but DH didn't like that name. Said it was a boy name (he works with 2 Sydneys who are male) so I came up with Bailey and it has stuck with her. She is our pretty, shy, and quiet doe. She has come along way since we got her. She used to run if you just looked at her but has calmed down a lot and tamed down well since we got her.
Dixie ~ nigerian doe. We think she may have a touch of pygmy in her too. When we were thinking up names for her DH suggested Dixie and since he rarely suggests names I went with it.

Our oldest son has determined that the next female we get needs to be named Butterscotch! :lol: We joked that maybe we just need to name all the baby girls born here that we are going to sell Butterscotch so we don't get attached to them! :lol:

We've debated whether we are going to try to go with a theme for kids born here, but haven't come up with anything yet. We may just name what we feel like naming them or let the kids name them.

CochinBrahmaLover=)

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
Got 2 goats.

Nigerian doe ~ Sass, asked someone for suggestions, got Sassafrass, but my mom wanted ME to name him instead of looking up names, so we nick named her Sass, which, BTW, is the PERFECT name for her :lol:
Nigerian wether ~ Chugiak, named after the town we got them from :)

Queen Mum

N.E.R.D.
Reaction score
Mama Her registered name is Philamena of something ot other farm. She is such a mamma that it is sacreligious to call her anything else.

Rum Raisin Brownie - Her mother was Caramel. and I wanted to go with a sweet treat theme.

Ian Artemis Flan - his mother was also Caramel. He is named after a deployed Marine named Ian on whose birthday he was born. He got to choose the middle name. AND Flan is a sweet treat.

Trump Card - he was just trumping his brother in everything he did so I started to say he was the trump card in the herd.

Houdini - escaped every paddock and fence we put him in.

Jelly Bean - looked like a little jelly bean when I go her so the name stuck.

Dot - has one tiny white dot on her little brown side.

Polka - is Dot's twin and has three little polka dots on her nose.

I Hyeon (pronounced EE hyun)- was the name of a little Korean boy I used to teach in Korea who had a sweet little happy personality. So does my little buckling

Seo Hyeon (pronounced sew hyun)- was another little Korean boy I used to teach. He had a more outgoing of the two boys, but I Hyeon and Seo Hyeon were always together and always happy and sweet.

Rhea Perl (aka Perl) - Jelly Beans kid. Named after Rhea Perlman. wife of Danny DeVito. The perfect marriage between Houdini and Jelly Bean. Little, cute, spunky and smart as heck. Houdini reminds me of Danny Devito. If Jelly Bean had had a boy it would have been named Danny Dee... Her nickname is Little Perl or Perly Que.

elevan

Critter Addict ♥
Reaction score
Daisy - Pygmy doe - that was her name when we got her.
Ranger - ND buck - I was testing names out loud and when I said that he looked right at me.
Snickers - Pygmy / ND buck - He's the color of a Snickers bar, chocolate, nougat and caramel :p
Kingston - Pygmy wether - As an honor to my grandpa, it was his middle name
Diva - Pygmy doe - She's a diva
Maggie - Pygmy doe - It's actually Maggie Maehem (as in mayhem). She's a trouble maker
Lilly - Pygmy doe - her name when we got her
Precious - Pygmy / ND doeling - DH thought she was just so precious :rolleyes:
Priya - Pygmy / ND doeling - Priya means beloved, she's her mama's beloved
Goldie - Pygmy doe - her name when we got her
Manch - LaMacha / Alpine wether - just an abbreviated moniker to identify him
Alp - Alpine wether - just an abbreviated moniker to identify him

wannacow

Overrun with beasties
Reaction score
I am naming the animals on my farm "old" names that most kids don't want to be saddles with. ;)
Apple-nubian (already named) and her daughter, Blossom
Charlotte-saanen (already named) and her daughter Fern (Girl in Charlotte's Web)
Stella!-saanen (Street Car Named Desire) I yell Stella! alot... :p
Frosty-nubian (ears were frost bitten when she was born as she was a surprise)

20kidsonhill

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
We group ours into blood-lines.
Hot Mammas does are being named after women in history that were consider Beautiful(Hot) women. So far we have gotten two does from her and we named them Cher and Raquel. We did not name Hot Mamma, she came to us with that name.

All of Nibbles does are named after snack food, Popcorn, Apples, Peaches ect....

One older doe has several does in our herd and we named them after things to do with outerspace, Nova, Star, and Haley

Glory camed named when we purchased her, and she had a duaghter this year and I looked up the word "glory" and found the Cloe is a name that is related to the term "glory" so we named her daughter "cloe". There was a pretty big list of names meaing or related to "Glory", Charmain and chleopatra and tulia are on my list of possible future names.

Our doe Indie came from Indiana, so we named her "Inde" and one of her daughters is named Anna. But another one of her daughter is named Pepper. That is what my son chose to name her. He was showing her that summer and we allowed him to pick the name.

A past herd sire we purchased came from "Ole MInor Farm" so we named him Ollie and a doe we purchased at the same time was named Olive.

Well, you all get the idea.

mama24

Ridin' The Range
Reaction score
My first 2 goats my kids named after characters in the cartoon Naruto.

Tsunade (Saanen/Boer) is my herd queen, really big girl, about 170lbs, all white with a cream colored hood. Tsunade is a figure in Japanese folklore, and if we ever get a buck, we'll name him Jiraiya to go along with her.

Shizune (50% Kiko, the rest Nubian/Boer) red roan with brown moonspots. She gets called "that bad Kiko" affectionately sometimes. She is definitely the smartest in our little herd, and if there's a way to get a treat, she'll figure it out.

Cookie (75% Kiko) Shizune's daughter, sweetest baby girl goat in the world! My kids named her Cookieb/c when she was born she was light brown with chocolate brown spots, just like a chocolate chip cookie! With age, she has lightened to a red roan with lighter brown and white spots, similar to her mom, though her coat has more gold and isn't as red as her mom.

Caramel (Saanen/Boer, Tsunade's aunt, though they're the same age) came with the name, she is all white with a little bit of tan on her head

Lily and Cream, twin Alpine/Saanen doelings, they are a light cream color. Their names were Lily and Lucy when we got them, but we had a goose named Lucy at the time, so renamed her Cream. Lily was a name I considered for Cookie, so I was happy to keep that name. :)

Bill is our teeny tiny sickly Boer wether. He only weighs about 50lbs and is well over a year old now. He just isn't growing. He was given to me for free b/c he was so sickly. My friend thought moving him to a place where goats haven't been on pasture for years and years might help him get over his persistent parasite issues, but it hasn't. I think I'm going to put him down b/c he just always looks terrible and horribly skinny.

We also have a pretty little brown agouti doe (is that a color for goats? That's what I'd call her if she were a rabbit. lol) that I got from a friend last weekend. We haven't named her yet. She's a chubby stocky girl with stubby legs, super cute. looks like an Alpine/Pygmy mix. I'm open to suggestions.

Straw Hat Kikos

The Kiko Cowboy
Reaction score
20kidsonhill said:
We group ours into blood-lines.
Hot Mammas does are being named after women in history that were consider Beautiful(Hot) women. So far we have gotten two does from her and we named them Cher and Raquel. We did not name Hot Mamma, she came to us with that name.

All of Nibbles does are named after snack food, Popcorn, Apples, Peaches ect....

One older doe has several does in our herd and we named them after things to do with outerspace, Nova, Star, and Haley

Glory camed named when we purchased her, and she had a duaghter this year and I looked up the word "glory" and found the Cloe is a name that is related to the term "glory" so we named her daughter "cloe". There was a pretty big list of names meaing or related to "Glory", Charmain and chleopatra and tulia are on my list of possible future names.

Our doe Indie came from Indiana, so we named her "Inde" and one of her daughters is named Anna. But another one of her daughter is named Pepper. That is what my son chose to name her. He was showing her that summer and we allowed him to pick the name.

A past herd sire we purchased came from "Ole MInor Farm" so we named him Ollie and a doe we purchased at the same time was named Olive.

Well, you all get the idea.
Yours is pretty cool. I like it.

Latest posts