What breed is my rabbit? *Updated with pictures. look 4 post #8.*

Ms. Research

Herd Nerd On A Mission
Reaction score
woodleighcreek said:
Looks like a Dutch mix to me!

And IMHO, if you are wanting to breed, get two healthy good quality purebred rabbits. There is more of a market for purebred rabbits then mix breed. And breeding just to have some bunnies to sell for pets never seems to be a good idea.
I agree that purebreds are more of a market than mixes, but mixes are really good for pets and if you mix well, meat. I think breeding just because you feel like it and have no plans for the kits never seems to be a good idea. :rolleyes:

As long as you have future plans, and not just a whim, I think you can be successful in the rabbit business. If you have no plans though, you only put more unwanted bunnies into the population. And that's just wrong.

Just my opinion. :)

Chikn Luva

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
He is my pet. I have had him for a few years, and I just realized that I didn't remember what his breed is. I am not breeding (I am only young, and I wouldn't be able to take care of that many rabbits), and I am not eating him. He is just my adorable, funny, sweet, and calm bunny! I was just wondering what breed he is..

Thanks!!:)

manybirds

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
Chikn Luva said:
He is my pet. I have had him for a few years, and I just realized that I didn't remember what his breed is. I am not breeding (I am only young, and I wouldn't be able to take care of that many rabbits), and I am not eating him. He is just my adorable, funny, sweet, and calm bunny! I was just wondering what breed he is..

your never to young to take care of more rabbits. when i was only 5 years old i took care of 20 rabbits and cleaned all there cages once a week. when i was only 12 i got up and hand milked my dairy goats every morning plus took care of a few more goats and lugged the wheel borrow out there and cleaned up after them all plus gave them hay and grain, did 4 pigeons 1 horse 20 chickens in various cages. fed watered and cleaned up after 17 ducks and geese, 2 guinea pigs, 2 guineas, 1 sheep, plus all the numerous show rabbits stuff like that. :D although u where probably only thinking of a few rabbits? :lol:

Ms. Research

Herd Nerd On A Mission
Reaction score
Chikn Luva said:

I would go with Dutch Mix if you want to tell your friends what he is. Tell them about the special patterns they have. That Dutch bunnies come in all sorts of colors. And if they ask what the mix part is I would say Mini Rex. You can talk about their coats. It's sounds like you have been very hands-on with your pet if he's sweet, funny and calm. Good for you. Rabbits are very interesting pets to have and realizing that you are not prepared to take on more is very wise. You are aware of the responsibility of caring for a pet. Enjoy learning from your pet and maybe when you get older you would like to go for more. And if not, well you learned the love of taking care of a pet. IMHO, the best lesson in life.

And regarding the eating part, well that is a part of the life of a rabbit too. They are a food source like chickens. But they also make great pets too. :)

Chikn Luva

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
Ms. Research said:
Chikn Luva said:

I would go with Dutch Mix if you want to tell your friends what he is. Tell them about the special patterns they have. That Dutch bunnies come in all sorts of colors. And if they ask what the mix part is I would say Mini Rex. You can talk about their coats. It's sounds like you have been very hands-on with your pet if he's sweet, funny and calm. Good for you. Rabbits are very interesting pets to have and realizing that you are not prepared to take on more is very wise. You are aware of the responsibility of caring for a pet. Enjoy learning from your pet and maybe when you get older you would like to go for more. And if not, well you learned the love of taking care of a pet. IMHO, the best lesson in life.

And regarding the eating part, well that is a part of the life of a rabbit too. They are a food source like chickens. But they also make great pets too. :)
I know that people eat rabbit meat, but I would never... It just seems so um.. wrong or gross for some reason.

Chikn Luva

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
manybirds said:
Chikn Luva said:

your never to young to take care of more rabbits. when i was only 5 years old i took care of 20 rabbits and cleaned all there cages once a week. when i was only 12 i got up and hand milked my dairy goats every morning plus took care of a few more goats and lugged the wheel borrow out there and cleaned up after them all plus gave them hay and grain, did 4 pigeons 1 horse 20 chickens in various cages. fed watered and cleaned up after 17 ducks and geese, 2 guinea pigs, 2 guineas, 1 sheep, plus all the numerous show rabbits stuff like that. :D although u where probably only thinking of a few rabbits? :lol:
I am not aloud to have more than 1 rabbit... Anyways, I would have no where to put them... One animal that I really want is some kind of parot. They are so nice! I have 1 rabbit, 1 parakeet, 2 dogs, and 6 chickens.

Ms. Research

Herd Nerd On A Mission
Reaction score
Chikn Luva said:
Ms. Research said:
Chikn Luva said:

I know that people eat rabbit meat, but I would never... It just seems so um.. wrong or gross for some reason.
Gross or wrong to you, means a family eats for some. Oh well, it is what it is. Enjoy your pet rabbit! :)