what breed of goat for a first time owner?

abhaya

Just born
Reaction score
I am thinking about getting a couple goats in the spring. Lots of people around here have them and sell kids. I am not interested in milking. They would be more "landscaping" Eating back the brush at the edges of the yard. I have free ranging chickens barn cats all tame a small house dog.
I live on a road with no traffic they would have access to my 12 achers of land much of it wooded all hilly. I also have a small creek running thru the property. there are loys of rock out croppings on the hills nothing more than a few feet but plenty to jump and play on. What would be a good breed for a newbie? pics are great so I can see what they look like.

jodief100

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
It really depends on your goals. If you just want cute goats to run and play then I would look at pigmys. If you want a bigger goat that will keep the weeds down then maybe meat goats or some dairy wethers. Do some research and consider size, fencing and maintinence.

Goats do require some work, you can't just let them graze and be done with it. Look over the archives, there are plenty of discussions about what they need.

I love my goats! Do your homework and get what is right for you and will be happy.

Emmetts Dairy

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
:frow Welcome. It sounds like you have a nice area for goats! But I agree..do your homework..they need alot of care. They need fencing, housing, vacinations etc etc...and they suprise us alot with unexpected needs from time to time!! :)

But have fun. And as for breed. Thats a personal preferance and depending what you wanna do with them. I picked toggenbergs..but they do well in cold weather and are good milkers...and I just love em!

Toggies are a very gentle and friendly breed. But look into the differant breeds they are all great in my eyes. I love goats..and they are fun to own. Come with a bit of a commitment...but to me..they are sooo worth it!

If you get boys/bucks...definatley get wheathers. You wont enjoy a buck for a pet. They go into rut and are kinda insane!! LOL...they should be kept for breeding purposes only. Not a pet or a landscaper.

But have fun looking! Hope you find some!

freemotion

Self Sufficient Queen
Reaction score
La Manchas have amazing personalities. But mixed breed goats can be hardier, hence easier for a beginner. Don't let them run loose if you have any plants that you want to keep, like flowers, fruit trees, a vegetable garden. They will eat those first, and start with the most valuable plants. They have discriminating tastes.

lilhill

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
And contrary to what you may have heard, goats will not eat "just anything." Research plants that are toxic to goats!

cmjust0

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
If you're not looking to get in the goat-breeding business, I'd choose some kind of mutt hybrid. Personally, I like a boer/nubi cross because they're functional and hardy, and they keep the long ears ( :p ). They're also usually pretty easy to find if people keep both meat and dairy goats in your area.

And even if you are looking to maybe let them have kids, you could always find a cheap meat-breed buck to breed them each fall, then let them raise their kids to 60-70lbs on good spring growth, then take the kids to the sale barn.. Good kids in that weight range are bringing about $1.80/lb around here -- and that's live weight. That's around $100/ea for kids.. If your does each had two, that's $400.

If you had...say...six does averaging 2 kids a year, you'd averaging about $100/mo from your weedeaters -- minus expenses, of course.

Latest posts