What discipline do you ride/prefer?

Chickerdoodle13

Overrun with beasties
Reaction score
Thanks! I still am able to ride during the summer when I am home (and when it isn't raining!), but I do miss being able to ride year round. I did join our college's equestrian club and took a few lessons, but I felt I was more advanced than the lessons I was getting. I was basically walking and trotting on a 27 year old western pleasure horse. I'm no where near being an advanced rider, but I'm definitely an intermediate rider. I stopped the lessons and now I just attend the equestrian club meetings.

I'm glad to hear so many people getting back into horses later in their life. I'm hoping I'll be able to follow in similar foot steps!

Oklabarrelracer

Exploring the pasture
Reaction score
Chickerdoodle13 said:
Thanks! I still am able to ride during the summer when I am home (and when it isn't raining!), but I do miss being able to ride year round. I did join our college's equestrian club and took a few lessons, but I felt I was more advanced than the lessons I was getting. I was basically walking and trotting on a 27 year old western pleasure horse. I'm no where near being an advanced rider, but I'm definitely an intermediate rider. I stopped the lessons and now I just attend the equestrian club meetings.

I'm glad to hear so many people getting back into horses later in their life. I'm hoping I'll be able to follow in similar foot steps!
Are you attending a college where you can take your own horse ? I know there are some college's that allow that. I'm sure you will get back into horse's full time sooner than I did LOL. I was 40 when I decided to learn to barrel race "hides head at my age now" :D

Paintlover24

Exploring the pasture
Reaction score
I have been riding my whole life and I first started in a Western saddle. Then I meet my friend who got started in hunters and I did that for about 6 or 7 years and then when I got my paint horse I decided that he was good in western so I went back to western. I showed my paint for a while in western pleasure and trail classes. Now that I have a job I am unable to show on sunday's so I have gone back to hunters and my absolutely loves to jump so that is where we are now showing hunters again. But my goal with this horse is to be able to show him both dicplines.

2468herdsrgr8

Overrun with beasties
Reaction score
I am 40 somethin'......as a young girl living out west my dream was to have the black horse ...then my parents divorced and we moved to Ontario to the city...
When I met my country boy hubby living in the city our dream was to move back to the country .....
Our dream came true a couple yrs ago and now hubby DD and I each have a horse....
When we first moved out here son,daughter hubby and I all took western lessons as a family adventure ...
1. to be together
2. for us to learn the proper way to ride .....you dont just squeeze,kick a horse to go?
3. daughter had to learn to care and ride a horse before she owned one ...
4.learn about the horse and care etc.
Hubby dropped out ...because he knew the basics and work was busy ....and son dropped out after that because there was no playstation connection on the saddle ????? Go figure....Tried to explain horses are a chick magnet !!!! ha ha
Daughter and I took lessons for 2 yrs ....DD also voulenteered at the barn ...
Looking back now that we all have our own horse as much as I enjoyed my lessons I would have taken a class without kids ....see my smile ....My coach ..who was wonderful ...was a coach for kids just starting out ...and catered to the kids needs ...
Since this past June 25th ...the day I bought my big fella home.... the last of our three horses ....we have been taking western lessons once a week with a trainer that has been there and done that .....he loves horses and just wants the rider to enjoy there horse and learn properly and will help you to get to your goal...mine is to learn the buttons on my horse and to ride properly ...

lupinfarm

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
I LOL'd so hard at no playstation connection on the saddle. My brother is the same way, he's starting western lessons this winter.