What is the best hair sheep for meat?

FarmersDigest

Ridin' The Range
Reaction score
Oh my what beautiful sheep you have! :loveYour LGD is huge, and so cute! When I took that quiz, the second breed that came up was the Dorper. So when you have an LGD, you can't have a border collie or other herding dog help you move them to another field, right? I'm sure the LGD would kill the herding dog, right? So if you can't do that, is it pretty easy to move them?

Sweetened

Herd Master
Reaction score
Im not sure. I could get away with it, lola, that dog, isnt herd bound which is why someonr sold her at auction. She wants to watch the house and the property and does a great job. She is good with the livestock but would prefer to patrol.

If our lambs get loose, i just leave the gate open and they go back in at night. Aries, our ram, is leash trained and better on a leash than show sheep. He is a very calm and docile ram, which is good for him. If we have aggressive livestock they are harvested as we wont raise inappropriate agression.

I think if you were to train your lgds to the presence of a herding dog while young, thatd be the way to go. I would wonder if you could train the lgds to move them since they are part of the choice. There are others her more knowledgable about that for sure!

FarmersDigest

Ridin' The Range
Reaction score
Im not sure. I could get away with it, lola, that dog, isnt herd bound which is why someonr sold her at auction. She wants to watch the house and the property and does a great job. She is good with the livestock but would prefer to patrol.

If our lambs get loose, i just leave the gate open and they go back in at night. Aries, our ram, is leash trained and better on a leash than show sheep. He is a very calm and docile ram, which is good for him. If we have aggressive livestock they are harvested as we wont raise inappropriate agression.

I think if you were to train your lgds to the presence of a herding dog while young, thatd be the way to go. I would wonder if you could train the lgds to move them since they are part of the choice. There are others her more knowledgable about that for sure!

Oh wow, I didn't even think of an lgd, not wanting to be with livestock. Nothing wrong with a good watch dog, I want one of those too!

Well that's a good way to do it! So they don't wonder off the property when they get out? So did you start when he was a lamb with the leash training? How do you start? That's smart, getting rid of aggression. Dh said he wants to do the same thing.

That would be a good idea, starting young. Or even better, if the lgd could help with the moving! Thank you again for taking time out of your day helping me. It's amazing how all of you are so willing to take time out and help people learn!:love

Southern by choice

Herd Master
Reaction score
LGD's are not herding dogs. They will corral, move, and get the herd of flock in a tight circle if need be due to threat but they do not herd. It is not part of the LGD's nature to run after, chase etc.

@bcnewe2 does train her own herding dogs, she has a LGD that she has raised up with them. Yet this is unusual. More often than not the LGD's are put up if herding dogs are used. LGD's do not like their herd/flocks being as what they see as harrassed by the herders.
2 different jobs... 2 different kinds of dogs.

Sweetened

Herd Master
Reaction score
I was more imagining the herd or flock following the lgds more than moving them. I should have worded that better.

Our animals are rarely loose, but on occassion a gate doesnt latch well or whatever and they bolt out behind me. The 2 trouble dogs get brought in the house until the livestock goes back in. But they dont wander far from home. A former friend of mine free ranges all her animals, and because theyve been ranging for so long, they are often found 5+ miles away from home.

I trained Aries the same way i train dogs, took 3 days before he was fluent with it. I put a collar and leash on him and start walking until theres resistance on the lead; the moment he moved forward i would release all tension. He stomped at me once and i put him on his ass (the way a dominant ram would). After that, hes never tried it again. Day two i had him walking on the leash, would drag him forward a bit until he moved on his own and by day 3 he would approach to have his leash put on. I train the goats this way as well, handle aggression the same way. If it doesnt get through their head the first couple times they are rehomed or hatvested.

FarmersDigest

Ridin' The Range
Reaction score
LGD's are not herding dogs. They will corral, move, and get the herd of flock in a tight circle if need be due to threat but they do not herd. It is not part of the LGD's nature to run after, chase etc.

@bcnewe2 does train her own herding dogs, she has a LGD that she has raised up with them. Yet this is unusual. More often than not the LGD's are put up if herding dogs are used. LGD's do not like their herd/flocks being as what they see as harrassed by the herders.
2 different jobs... 2 different kinds of dogs.

Good to know! Thank you!

That makes sense, putting the LGD's up while the herding dogs are used. Thanks Southern by choice! Really appreciate your info.

Baymule

Herd Master
Reaction score
@Sweetened great description of how you trained your ram. I am paying careful attention because we are moving to 8 acres. Soon as we get it fenced, Dorpers are on my shopping list. Loved the pics of your lambs and LGD. I have a Great Pyrenees that has been guarding my back yard and chickens, hope she decides that she was really born to guard sheep LOL. If she decides to guard the house and land, then that will be ok too.

@FarmersDigest I have a GP that hates my Australian Shepherd. They must be kept separated if I want the Aussie to keep breathing. Since the GP commands the back yard, the Aussie became a permanent house dog. I have to walk her in the front yard, can't just turn her out, in town and she takes off. When we move, the Aussie will have a fenced yard to keep her out of trouble. ALL LGD's don't hate your other dogs ALL the time, but be prepared for that possibility. Our GP absolutely LOVES our goofy black Lab/Great Dane cross, so go figure.

FarmersDigest

Ridin' The Range
Reaction score
I was more imagining the herd or flock following the lgds more than moving them. I should have worded that better.

Our animals are rarely loose, but on occassion a gate doesnt latch well or whatever and they bolt out behind me. The 2 trouble dogs get brought in the house until the livestock goes back in. But they dont wander far from home. A former friend of mine free ranges all her animals, and because theyve been ranging for so long, they are often found 5+ miles away from home.

I trained Aries the same way i train dogs, took 3 days before he was fluent with it. I put a collar and leash on him and start walking until theres resistance on the lead; the moment he moved forward i would release all tension. He stomped at me once and i put him on his ass (the way a dominant ram would). After that, hes never tried it again. Day two i had him walking on the leash, would drag him forward a bit until he moved on his own and by day 3 he would approach to have his leash put on. I train the goats this way as well, handle aggression the same way. If it doesnt get through their head the first couple times they are rehomed or hatvested.

I really like the way you do thing's! I like the idea of training them, as I am sure that makes thing's so much easier. Thanks again for such great info!

FarmersDigest

Ridin' The Range
Reaction score
@Sweetened great description of how you trained your ram. I am paying careful attention because we are moving to 8 acres. Soon as we get it fenced, Dorpers are on my shopping list. Loved the pics of your lambs and LGD. I have a Great Pyrenees that has been guarding my back yard and chickens, hope she decides that she was really born to guard sheep LOL. If she decides to guard the house and land, then that will be ok too.

@FarmersDigest I have a GP that hates my Australian Shepherd. They must be kept separated if I want the Aussie to keep breathing. Since the GP commands the back yard, the Aussie became a permanent house dog. I have to walk her in the front yard, can't just turn her out, in town and she takes off. When we move, the Aussie will have a fenced yard to keep her out of trouble. ALL LGD's don't hate your other dogs ALL the time, but be prepared for that possibility. Our GP absolutely LOVES our goofy black Lab/Great Dane cross, so go figure.

I hope that your GP loves to guard sheep too. :fl You'll have to keep us updated. :)
Nothing like your dog getting to decide who will be a permanent house dog for you. :) That's great you have thing's already planned out for when you move! Thank you for helping me. I am really worried about dogs not getting along. We had 3 Malamutes when growing up, and man when they got into it with each other, it was bad! I don't want that at all! Lol they usually do love the goof balls. What a mix!

alsea1

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
I have American black belly sheep and really enjoy them.
Thus far I have not had any illness problems with my flock the whole time I have owned them. All my sheep have easy births with healthy offspring. They can have two lambing's per year as well. I started out with three. I now have eleven.
So far I have been able to keep the ewes and ram together year round with out any problems. This is a management plus for me.
My stock is thriving on small area without issues with parasites.
Due to the size of my pasture I must feed year round to supplement their diet.
I do find that I must trim hooves as there are no areas in the pasture that they wear them down on.
If you want a large carcass weight then black belly is not for you.
They are smaller than the katahdin and dorper.
The flavor of the meat however is extremely good.