What is the earliest you wean your bunnies?

esagiddens

Just born
Reaction score
We have 9 new babies that were born this morning. I'm planning on letting "Mom" tell me when she's ready for them to get their own section also. I'm not selling Easter bunnies this year but may next year. I know if I do I'll have a take back policy and also give information packets to each buyer. I actually plan on having that policy with my chicks and buns year round.

chinbunny1

Ridin' The Range
Reaction score
I don't et my does 'tell me' when they are ready to wean the kits. The kits get weaned at six to eight weeks. Its not worth the risk stressing them out by weaning any earlier. Most does will tolerate their litters till when you are ready to wean them anyhow. If they don't its either time for a bigger cage, or time to cull her and keep back does that don't wean early. IMHO the most responsible thing to do is to wean them at the appropriate age. Which is 6-8 weeks. Again, ot worth the risk. You also take chances of the babies getting enteritis, and all kinds of stuff from the stress of being weaned early. Not only that before six weeks they are 'tasting' and learning to adjust to their new food, and still nursing at that time.The kits do just fine with the extra couple of weeks with mom.

waynesgarden

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
5 weeks is perfectly appropriate for my bunnies. They have pretty much weaned themselves by then, are growing fast and show zero signs of enteritis or all kinds of stuff.

At five weeks, Mom gets a few weeks rest before she kindles again.

Wayne