What is your technique for hoof trimming?

Mea

Overrun with beasties
Reaction score
No real technique... or at least none with Any finesse ! They are usually on the stand or tied in a stall and i get ahold of the hoof and desperately try Not to let go.

I hate !!! the cutters that i have ! They are the "Italian Hoof Rot Shears". Terribly sharp... Have a post thingy that keeps them from overclosing, and can give my hand a Nasty pinch !... And they are too large for my hand to grip out on the handle for maximun pressure while cutting. I usually have to do cuts in two stages...one to get the blade started the second to shift my hand back on the shears to finish. NOT at all fun when a goat is jerking her foot away. (or trying to) :barnie

I am envious of those that have sais they can walk up on the goats in the pasture and get them trimmed !! That is Great !!! :bow

Jody

Exploring the pasture
Reaction score
Since mine are only 4 and 5 mos old, I just flip them on their back and hold them like a baby, but with their head behind my bicep, holding their hind legs together with my left hand and trimming with my right hand. First couple times required some effort and a little struggle, however, they've become accustomed to this and now allow me to trim without a struggle.

mully

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
I sit on the ground with the goat then gently roll it over on its back on to my chest. Then put my leg around the belly and the goat relaxes and trim with little wiggling... I do not do this with bucks and all my goats have horns and no problems.