what kind of goat milk?

hoosiergal

Ridin' The Range
Reaction score
I know that you can milk all goats that has had a baby but is all goats milk good or the same to drink? I am kinda new at this goat farming.:/

broke down ranch

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
I have heard that Toggenburg's milk is odd-tasting, that Saanen's give the most, and that Nubian's have the highest fat content. Now, I have heard that pound for pound the Nigerian Dwarfs out produce their bigger counter parts on the feed to milk ratio but they have very small teats.

In my herd of milkers I have Nubian/Boer, Nubian/La Mancha/Boer, and La Manch/Saanen. I have other girls, just not old enough to breed. I have a friend who has a full-blood Alpine that was boarding her here for the last few weeks. They were all getting the exact same feed yet this Alpine's milk was not as sweet as my girls' milk.

Blackbird

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
Breed, diet, content of the milk, and how the milk is handled can all affect the taste of milk.

crazygoatlady

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
I have had various breeds for milk drinking, I happen to like my Nubian and Mini Nubian milk-I also have heard that Toggs have stronger milk. I do know that how the milk is handled and how quickly it is chilled makes a big differnce. I sterilize everything we use for milking and wash hands when milking. I use smaller containers and it goes into the freezer for even a quicker chill. :)

hoosiergal

Ridin' The Range
Reaction score
I have a 4 yr. old nubian who may be bred. They were not sure about that and a 10 month old pygmy/saanen mix. Looking to have some milk next spring maybe.

Thanks for your comments and help. :D

Roll farms

Spot Master
Reaction score
Definitely get rid of any wild onion, mustard, etc. weeds growing out back, and don't let them live w/ a buck. Handle the milk properly (keep it clean and in glass / stainless steel when possible) and chill it quick.
Our Nubians' milk seems to make the best ice cream...richer and creamier.

jeffzen

Just born
Reaction score
I accept had assorted breeds for milk drinking, I appear to like my Nubian and Mini Nubian milk-I aswell accept heard that Toggs accept stronger milk. I do apperceive that how the milk is handled and how bound it is algid makes a big differnce. I alter aggregate we use for bribery and ablution easily if milking. I use abate containers and it goes into the freezer for even a quicker chill

freemotion

Self Sufficient Queen
Reaction score
Jeffzen, :welcome

Are you using a translation program? It is doing strange things to your comments! What is your native language?

NubianNerd

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
jeffzen said:
I accept had assorted breeds for milk drinking, I appear to like my Nubian and Mini Nubian milk-I aswell accept heard that Toggs accept stronger milk. I do apperceive that how the milk is handled and how bound it is algid makes a big differnce. I alter aggregate we use for bribery and ablution easily if milking. I use abate containers and it goes into the freezer for even a quicker chill

P.S. please forgive my horrible spanish grammar.