What probiotics do you use?

AnotherKim

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
I keep reading that many of you give probiotics to your goats. What do you use? I just started culturing water kefir grains. The grains love molasses. Can I just mix those in with grain, and feed it to the goats like a sweet feed. I don't have goats yet. I just want to make sure I have enough kefir once I do get them. I plan on getting a couple of ND's, hopefully in December

ksalvagno

Alpaca Master
Reaction score
You don't have to give probiotics on a daily basis. You can do it if you want. Most people give their goat Probios if the goat has a problem to be sure that the good bacteria in the rumen keeps going. As far as molasses, it doesn't make the milk taste bad but goats shouldn't be getting a lot of molasses because of the sugar. If you are feeding a sweet feed or something, then you don't need to add molasses to water or anything. People add molasses to the water after kidding and maybe there was a problem to get the goat to drink the water but also add some iron into her.

I can't speak about the kefir grains because I have never used them. I'm guessing you would need to have a lot around to feed the goats on a daily basis. There isn't enough molasses in the sweet feed to keep the kefir grains going so you would need to add them fresh to the goat's grain ration every time.

AnotherKim

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
Thanks for the reply. So I only need the probiotics in an emergency, then? Good to know.

ksalvagno

Alpaca Master
Reaction score
Probiotics can be given daily if you want to. Otherwise you can just give them if the goat is a bit off or sick or injured.