When a fool attempts a castration she saw in a book~Update...

jbourget

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
wow, please use a band next time, and every time after that. much much easier and less pain on the lamb, wich i dont think he could of had any more pain during the method you used. (comming from a male) no other male should have to endure that kind of procedure. Just use the tail elastics....and castrator...the method you did is only meant for pigs.

aggieterpkatie

The Shepherd
Reaction score
jbourget said:
wow, please use a band next time, and every time after that. much much easier and less pain on the lamb, wich i dont think he could of had any more pain during the method you used. (comming from a male) no other male should have to endure that kind of procedure. Just use the tail elastics....and castrator...the method you did is only meant for pigs.
Have you ever done a surgical castration? I have, and I would say it's less pain on the lamb. The lambs done the surgical way are up and nursing in just a few minutes. Those banded lambs usually writhe around for at least 20-30 minutes, and some even seem sore the next day. The method she did is not just meant for pigs. It would have been helpful to her to watch a procedure first, but she did her best. Just because the banding method is quick for humans, does not mean it's quick for the animals.

Beekissed

Herd Master
Reaction score
jbourget said:
Wow, did you read my post? I did state I plan to use a band for any further castrations. Personally, I think that many, many males would benefit in their lives if they were surgically castrated in just this manner....they could then start thinking more clearly. ;)

Thanks, Aggie! Oh, BTW, I simply LOVE the pics and the names of your lambs....simply darling!! :D

Hillsvale

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
warthog said:
Really glad the he's improving.

Another thing for stopping bleeding if you have it is Tumeric, it is also a natural antiseptic. I haven't used it on animals, but have used it on myself and it works.

Give the little guy a hug for me and one for you too. :hugs :hugs
Wow... thats interesting. Thanks