When starting a farm...

Latestarter

Novice; "Practicing" Animal Husbandry
Golden Herd Member
Reaction score
OK FarmersDigest... your original request for help/guidance/opinions/advice got me to look. Now I'm enthralled and will be following the thread to read about your progress and outcome. Wow, what an adventure huh? Wishing you and the DH all the best to make this a truly happy new year!

Baymule

Herd Master
Reaction score
It is wonderful that the owners are so helpful. Are they moving totally away, as in far, far away? Or are they still going to be close by? Any possibility of writing into the contract or verbal agreement of a 1 year retainer for advice and help? After all, they built this farm and they could prove invaluable to you. Just a thought......

FarmersDigest

Ridin' The Range
Reaction score
OK FarmersDigest... your original request for help/guidance/opinions/advice got me to look. Now I'm enthralled and will be following the thread to read about your progress and outcome. Wow, what an adventure huh? Wishing you and the DH all the best to make this a truly happy new year!

Well thank you, that's much appreciated! An adventure indeed. Scary, but good. We wish you a truly happy new year as well.

FarmersDigest

Ridin' The Range
Reaction score
It is wonderful that the owners are so helpful. Are they moving totally away, as in far, far away? Or are they still going to be close by? Any possibility of writing into the contract or verbal agreement of a 1 year retainer for advice and help? After all, they built this farm and they could prove invaluable to you. Just a thought......

The great thing is Dh met this guy through his work, and was impressed with my Dh's skill and hard work ethic. No, they are moving about 2 hours away. That's a great idea, thank you!

SheepGirl

Master of Sheep
Golden Herd Member
Reaction score
If I were you, I'd write a business plan before you jump too far into the new farm. Just because it's an established business doesn't mean you, as the new owners/managers will know how to run it right/efficiently/profitably without researching ahead of time.

FarmersDigest

Ridin' The Range
Reaction score
If I were you, I'd write a business plan before you jump too far into the new farm. Just because it's an established business doesn't mean you, as the new owners/managers will know how to run it right/efficiently/profitably without researching ahead of time.

Yup, and we are in the process of doing that. We actually posted on here about doing one. Thank you for your info.