When to Wean and How to do it

WildRoseBeef

Range nerd & bovine enthusiast
Reaction score
You've gotten some good advice already, but I would advise to start weaning off Deana's calf because he is at the age where he's ready to go. If she's still in good condition and can still keep producing for him, then by all means keep him on for a couple more months or so, but if Prince is pulling her down some, then he'll need to be started to pull off. You can get him started by putting one of those Ezee-Wean nose flaps on him so that he essentially teaches mom to start kicking him off every time he tries to suckle. The nose flap should only stay in for a week at the most.

But, the concern I have with him being pulled off is that if he goes in with Baby and Billy (and probably Lil' Red too) he's going to be picked on more because he's smaller (and younger) than either of them and won't have his momma to protect him. So, even though he's considerably at a ripe age for weaning, maybe leave him on for a little longer.

Other concern is I hope that the corral you are going to put Baby in is secure and separate enough so that he's not going to figure out a way to reach through and continue to suckle from his dam!

cjc

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
Thank you @WildRoseBeef! We are going to move Baby, Billy and Prince together this Saturday into an adjoining, yet separated pasture. That way they can still see mom. There is a strong metal fence that separates the two.

I think that Baby, Billy and Prince will do well together. Although Prince is quiet a bit younger he is surprisingly bigger than Billy and Baby. Billy and Baby are both Herefords and Prince is a Shorthorn.

Do you think its ok to leave them a part for 1 month and then put them back together? Of course its always easier for us to have them together for feeding and such. Will the 1 month be enough time to wean without us having to worry about him going back to mom?

Goatgirl47

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
It depends, sometimes it takes only one month to wean, sometimes longer. Some calves are very persistent with nursing. I think you should keep them separated for two months, and then put them back together, but watch them carefully.

cjc

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
The weaning process has begun! We had a few hours of crying and now they have all seemed to settle down nicely. Since they are only separated by a gate the mamas and their babies are still sitting side by side with the gate separating them. Very sweet. We have given the calves a round bale of Silage which they LOVE and are also feeding them grain in the morning. They seem to be happy. Only one of the cow calf pairs seemed phased by the separation. "Big Mama" refused to separate from her calf for even a minute. I think she was on to us. We held back her grain for one day and then she decided she would leave the pasture where her baby was to come to the grain we tempted her with. Here is a picture of Big Mama and her calf spending some quality time together in a pasture alone before we separated them to start weaning.
IMG_9463.JPG