Where to get a good microchipping kit?

themrslove

Ridin' The Range
Reaction score
Hi! I am looking into getting a microchip reader and supplies rather than tattooing. Does anyone have a particular brand they like or recommend?
Or does everyone tattoo? :p

currycomb

Overrun with beasties
Reaction score
i would think tatooing, it is readily visible, and if showing, think the judge must see the tatoo. not everyplace has scanners to read microchips, and i think those vary too.

ksalvagno

Alpaca Master
Reaction score
If you plan on showing goats or sell goats to people who want to show them, then the goats would need the tattoos. The microchips would be unacceptable for shows.

If you just want to ID your goats, then do a search on AVID. That is the chip that I use for my alpacas. There are other brands out there too.

themrslove

Ridin' The Range
Reaction score
I knew that microchips were unacceptable for ADGA, but from what I have read goats can either be tattooed or microchipped when being shown for AGS or NDGA. Am I inncorrect?
Currently, I am not affiliated with ADGA, only AGS and NDGA.
So my plans were to microchip all of my goats but only tattoo the ones that needed to be so for showing if required. (I have several brood does that I for sure know won't need to be tattooed. :) )

Oh, and for selling them I would include the appropriate tattoo sequence on the registration for the buyer or offer to do the tattoo before purchase.

IMHO, chipping is so much easier than the tattoo. Plus the don't have to live with silly green ears for a while!