White Snakeroot

Cotton*wood

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
Yikes! Yes, there are nursing lambs, but they're all super-healthy, great growth. I'm actually thinking that it's probably not where they were back in June, because there's none of it in there--just in a little area between one pasture and that one that I didn't let them in because there were also a bunch of branches cut off of a super-thorny honey locust, and I didn't want them to step on them and get thorns in their feet. So they probably haven't eaten any. And when I was moving them from one paddock to another and they had to walk past some of it, a couple of them sniffed it, and didn't eat any. So maybe they can tell it's bad and not eat it (assuming they have plenty of more desirable things.)

And yes, I will be pulling it out, BEFORE it goes to seed, and I think I could recognize it when it comes up in the spring.

Reaction score
I have this all along a walking trail in my woods. Doesn't affect birds, so I don't worry about my chickens. My meat rabbits are caged. Doesn't kill honeybees. When I get sheep down the line, I'll keep them out. Glad I never wanted to get goats or pigs - that would be super challenging.
Here's the thing though - we hunt deer. They'd be prime carriers of the poison in their meat (especially the prized heart) and none of us have gotten sick eating it. I haven't seen deer carcasses from randomly dying. I have to imagine that deer know to avoid it. Maybe other animals have learned to steer clear, too?

Alaskan

Herd Master
Reaction score
I have this all along a walking trail in my woods. Doesn't affect birds, so I don't worry about my chickens. My meat rabbits are caged. Doesn't kill honeybees. When I get sheep down the line, I'll keep them out. Glad I never wanted to get goats or pigs - that would be super challenging.
Here's the thing though - we hunt deer. They'd be prime carriers of the poison in their meat (especially the prized heart) and none of us have gotten sick eating it. I haven't seen deer carcasses from randomly dying. I have to imagine that deer know to avoid it. Maybe other animals have learned to steer clear, too?
The thing with wild deer... since they are not caged, their habitat is as large as they want it to be.

And, with more people moving out to the country, the deer get more feed. Tasty veggie gardens, bird feeders, actual deer feeders.

So... it us easy for them to avoid poisonous plants.

Most domestic animals don't get the huge roaming area the deer do.

Reaction score
The thing with wild deer... since they are not caged, their habitat is as large as they want it to be.

And, with more people moving out to the country, the deer get more feed. Tasty veggie gardens, bird feeders, actual deer feeders.

So... it us easy for them to avoid poisonous plants.

Most domestic animals don't get the huge roaming area the deer do.
I'm certain it'd be more newsworthy if deer meat were killing off people. :-D I grew up here in a rural area. Never heard about this until a few days ago. Thank God for corn farmers.