Who wants to make some cheese? (ARE YOU GOODA WITH GOUDA?)

Queen Mum

N.E.R.D.
Reaction score
Cricket,

If you pm me your address, I will mail you a packet of sour cream culture that makes an awesome sour cream/buttermilk. I have quite a few of them.

Any one else want one?

peteyfoozer

Herd Master
Reaction score
well, the cows milk Feta is hangin' and the ricotta is ALMOST up to temperature. I love my cow. :ya

Queen Mum

N.E.R.D.
Reaction score
Awesome Peteyfoozer... that is MOOzic to my ears! I am hanging in suspense to hear how it comes out. Be sure and taste some when you cut and salt it, just to let us know what you think. Remember the texture won't be right yet, but you will be surprised at the taste.

It gets better with age.

And you can start eating it within the first week of putting it in brine. Actually, I kind of snack on the chunks while it's drying off in the box, but shhhh, don't tell anyone.

Cricket

Ridin' The Range
Reaction score
That would be wonderful--thank you! I will try the pm thing. (I'm not good at the abbrev. In knitting pm='place marker'. I thought for the longest time when people referred to their DH, they were being really rude about their husbands)

autumnprairie

Owned by the Rotten Heifers
Reaction score
Cricket said:
That would be wonderful--thank you! I will try the pm thing. (I'm not good at the abbrev. In knitting pm='place marker'. I thought for the longest time when people referred to their DH, they were being really rude about their husbands)
:gig I did too

Queen Mum

N.E.R.D.
Reaction score
Cricket said:
:lol:

peteyfoozer

Herd Master
Reaction score
the feta is cubed and salted and in a container. It's ok to be layered in there, right? There was a HUGE hunk of cheese. It was a really good yield. I have no idea what it is SUPPOSED to taste like tho, as I have never had it before! :gig

peteyfoozer

Herd Master
Reaction score
Our friend the chef, and our 'neighbor' on the ranch both tried the feta and said it was good. I am glad to know it turned out, but i have also learned, I am not very fond of feta.
Ready for the next success :plbb

Cricket

Ridin' The Range
Reaction score
Thank you for the sour cream starter--it is just awesome! It's almost like a cross between butter, sour cream, and cream cheese. I had also tried it with buttermilk, which was more like store bought sour cream. I also love doing yogurt in canning jars--then while I'm heating, I can try different batches at the same time. I also used the cooler idea with great success. I put the jars in the cooler, then put them on the mitten rack my husband built on top of the radiator. I had tried using the radiator before, but it 'finished' on the bottom more quickly than on top. In what may be my only act of organization of the year, I filled a muffin tin with different starter batches and have frozen and labeled them.

I'm going to have to order rennet. Is there a starter you would like to try so that I can return your kindness in sharing the sour cream starter?

Thank you again,
Cricket

Queen Mum

N.E.R.D.
Reaction score
Hey everyone, Sorry this is so late, I have been out of town and then had a crisis when I came back but the crisis is past. I will start the next recipe a little late this week, but fear not, it is coming.

Peteyfoozer: Layering is fine. Congratulations... Wait, the feta gets better with age, it might grow on you. AND if you used lipase, try it without the lipase next time for a milder taste. You might like that better.

Cricket: Yay! I am glad the yogurt and sour cream came out so well. It's kind of fun to make your own. BTW if the bottom gets done first, just stir it. I will be buying all new culture stock because I "left" my other cultures behind having left the last place in a bit of a "hurry". So I'm good for now. I am waiting till I have a doe in milk. BTW, you can hang the sour cream in a very fine cheese cloth and it will get even thicker and you can add a bit of salt and herbs, or sugar and jam and spread it on toast.