Whole kernel corn?

wannacow

Overrun with beasties
Reaction score
I was getting cracked corn from the elevator. They're not going to carry it anymore, so my local feed store (caters to beef producers) ordered it in. I bought a bag and mixed it w/ my goat feed. I couldn't believe how dusty it was. It was much worse the the corn at the elevator. My goats won't eat it. I had to mix in more goat feed for the molasses. It didn't help much. Can I feed whole kernal corn instead of cracked? I only have 6 goats so I'm not able to get a special grind. Suggestions?

Goatherd

Overrun with beasties
Reaction score
Personally, I haven't any issues with corn, but there are those that do. That being said, yes, you can feed your goats whole corn as part of a balanced diet and yes, your goats should be able to eat it just fine.

wannacow

Overrun with beasties
Reaction score
Thanks. I mix my own feed, using cracked corn. The dust was covering EVERYTHING, so they didn't like it.

AshleyFishy

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
I use whole corn with my goats feed. They love it! It also slows them down a little vs inhaling the feed like little hoovers.

verkagj

Ridin' The Range
Reaction score
Mine chew up whole corn just fine. Some days they pick it all out to eat first. Just remember that most corn is the US is GMO unless you know exactly who grew it.

wannacow

Overrun with beasties
Reaction score
I want to apologize for "wole". I meant whole, as most of you know. ;) I don't know how to go back in and fix it.

Now, back to topic. I would love to feed my goats non-GMO feed, but I live in the heart of Monsantoland. People around here look at me funny if I mention GMO. IF I could get it around here, in amts that would work with my small herd, I wouldn't be able to afford it. I look at different things to put in my feed, but I would have to special order and I just can't afford it...

20kidsonhill

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
wannacow said:
I want to apologize for "wole". I meant whole, as most of you know. ;) I don't know how to go back in and fix it.

Now, back to topic. I would love to feed my goats non-GMO feed, but I live in the heart of Monsantoland. People around here look at me funny if I mention GMO. IF I could get it around here, in amts that would work with my small herd, I wouldn't be able to afford it. I look at different things to put in my feed, but I would have to special order and I just can't afford it...
To edit or change your title, go to the first post you made on this topic, and click edit and the title can be edited at the same time.

wannacow

Overrun with beasties
Reaction score
Thank you, 20kidsonhill.

Suburbanfarmer

Ridin' The Range
Reaction score
I started mixing my own feed to specifically get away from feeding corn. Have you considered going that route? I do oats, barley, BOSS, alfalfa pellets, and calf manna (which probably has some corn, but much less than they were getting when I was feeding preformulated feed).
-K

wannacow

Overrun with beasties
Reaction score
I mix oats and corn w/ Purina Goat Chow, then feed alfalfa pellets at night when we lock them up. I used to feed PGC exclusively, but it got way too expensive. DH was going to make me sell a couple of goats unless I was able to find something else to feed. I don't know where I'd get barley except for a special order, then I would have to buy a pallet at a time. BOSS would be the same except for buying bird seed. I only have 6 goats.