Wildman here!

Ridgetop

Herd Master
Reaction score
Welcome! Where are you located? Are your Katahdins registered? Do you breed for meat, show, breeding stock, or fun?

I am in southern California until the end of February. Will be moving to our ranch in northeast Texas. We are bringing a flock of about 50 White dorpers, a TWH, a mule, and our 3 Anatolians.

Wildman

Exploring the pasture
Reaction score
Welcome! Where are you located? Are your Katahdins registered? Do you breed for meat, show, breeding stock, or fun?

I am in southern California until the end of February. Will be moving to our ranch in northeast Texas. We are bringing a flock of about 50 White dorpers, a TWH, a mule, and our 3 Anatolians.
I breed for meat. I sell to local stock market, some are shipped and sold in Pennsylvania. My katahdins are not registered. I am trying something different this year breeding to a Barbados Black Belly.

farmerjan

Herd Master
Reaction score
Welcome from the western part of Va. If you go to your name top right, click down to account details, down to location, you can put in something like PA or anything that gives a general idea of area. Helps with things we comment on / offer advice on / and to get a feel for weather and such.... you can see what others put in to give an idea of the area they are located in...

Do you have any experience with Barbados Black Belly sheep?... We had some for awhile.... the ones we had were much less meaty than the White Texas Dall sheep we raise ... mostly for their horns/heads on the rams for hunting preserves... and they tended to be very flighty... the Dalls are flighty enough because we do not make pets out of them... but they will come to a bucket and go back to where they get out of a fence so always can find where to fix it...as long as you do not crowd them..... the BBB's would take off for the wild and never be seen again... we actually wound up shooting some that could not be caught or enticed in...

If you are wanting for meat, crossing with White Dorpers, like @Ridgetop has, and @Baymule is doing some experimenting with, might be the better way to go... but you may have some nice meaty BBB's also to use...