Winter Kidding Watch =) Aspen's Turn Pics Pg 59 ALL DONE

aggieterpkatie

The Shepherd
Reaction score
Tell us about the dystocia. What were they doing in there? Backflips? :lol:

SDGsoap&dairy

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
That was hands-down the best text I've gotten all week. Can't wait for fluffy pics of that bundle of babies! :D

Way to save the day! :thumbsup

helmstead

Goat Mistress
Reaction score
Well Velvet had been in obvious labor all morning...she'd dug a hole to China, then dug another one back. She was crying and uncomfortable. I knew something wasn't right. So, after lunch, I went in...

Ringwomb. Great. After several minutes I finally managed to gently force my index finger through her cervix. I found something hard (baby) on the other side and rubbed that closed cervix on it for a few moments (internal stimulation is the ONLY thing that will open a cervix).

I walked away for 15 mins.

So when I returned and checked again, that was working. I stimulated some more and finally got the cervix open manually. Tight, but open enough I felt a kid would fit.

As soon as I removed my hand, three bubbles came out together. CRUD. This usually tells me dystocia. So, I went in, all the way this time. I COULD NOT for my life get oriented. There were MORE bubbles inside, and kid...but I couldn't find a discernible body part. I went in further...up to my mid forearm now. I found a hock. One. I tried to follow the hock to the rest of the body...and just couldn't get oriented. Dropped the hock and felt left...and there was some odd body mass. Felt right and had the top of a head. So I sat there trying to figure out how this kid had a head, a hock and maybe a butt in there like that. AND there were umbilical cords EVERYWHERE.

Right about this time, Velvet crashed. Ben was at her head...and she suddenly just went limp and sighed. You can imagine what was going through our minds...

So out of desperation, I opened my hand up, found the hock again and just pushed everything BACK, deeper. I forced that rear leg around so that I could get it out (toe was pointing towards Velvet's head) and just pulled. Out came #1, limp but alive. And suddenly Velvet popped back up and commenced screaming. Ben cleaned off the baby and gave it to her which calmed her down.

She was shot, done, too tired. So I went back in and fished around, found a head...pulled. Out came #2. VERY limp, but alive. Went back, up to my elbow now...and found another rear leg. Pulled. Out came #3. Went back to check again, found another head...pulled, and out came #4.

Went back again, checked both horns...WHEW.

Velvet is ok. She's going to be VERY sore, but she's caring for the babies. She's gotten up once so far, we're letting her recouperate before we get her on the stanchion to get colostrum in everyone.

Oh, and it was 3 bucks and a doe. :)
velvetquads.jpg

SDGsoap&dairy

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
That story makes my stomach churn after our last dystocia. You REALLY did a great thing Kate! And way to support your woman while she works magic, Ben! :bow

helmstead

Goat Mistress
Reaction score
I almost lost it when Velvet crashed, Ben had everything ready to do a last ditch C section...I'm STILL shaking from it all.