yearling separation tantrum

crazyland

Overrun with beasties
Reaction score
The neighbor and I have two half sisters. They have the yearling and I have an 8-9month old. I don't have a birth date but was told when she was delivered she was 8 months.

The yearling will through what I call a tantrum when we separate them.

She will run around the yard yelling and kicking, testing the wire.
My filly could care less about what her sister is doing. Barely does she ever talk back to her sister. Eventually the sister calms down a bit but paces the fence. If she looses sight then she throws the tantrum all over again.

What can be done?

Eventually my filly will not be with her as she will be on my property when I get a good fence built in 2 weeks.

They do have a stallion. They won't let either filly near him although he has sired several foals already with his previous owners. They say that they won't be able to train him if he gets near one of the girls. He had been left alone in rubbish for over a year although prior to this he was ridden and started on buggy.

patandchickens

Overrun with beasties
Reaction score
Honestly, the solution is for them to a) get a companion for their filly, and b) build safer fences.

There's not a lot you can really do about either of 'em.

Just make sure YOUR fences are good'n'safe and secure.

Assuming she doesnt' hurt herself too direly in the meantime, their filly will eventually adapt.

Good luck, have fun,

Pat

FlipFlopFarmer

Exploring the pasture
Reaction score
I personally keep my colts in a fenced area with electric fencing added to keep them off the wire/wood. All of my fences have a strand of electric wire so the mares and new foals get used to it. I have found that when I separate/wean my colts, they bang themselves up alot less if there is electric wire involved. I know you arent weaning, but a young horse can do alot of damage to themselves when they are being kept from thier buddy.