Young buck not eating

Smiles

Exploring the pasture
Reaction score
This is a first time experience for me with a youngster not wanting to eat. Luckily all of our rabbits in the past have been good eaters. He is a NZW at 4 months of age. He has been pellet raised and up until a week ago had been eating about 5 oz. (weight) per day. He also gets a small apple tree branch and one small apple (no seeds) about three times a week and he eats it very well. We have had daily temperatures of +/-100F for almost two weeks and the hutches are outside in a very shaded chicken run. He comes from excellent stock and we are trying to get set up with two new does and this one new buck for breeding.

I noticed a little more than usual food left in the feeder about 8 days ago. The amount of left food has increased slightly each day this past week.

Are there any other signs that I should look for that would indicate illness? I do not feel any swelling or any other to-the-touch symptoms. But he is very skiddish and the most nervous bunny we have had. When his cage is open he huddles in the back corner and hates to be touched. He's not aggressive at all, just scared.

Any advice out there? Thanks.

ruthless

Exploring the pasture
Reaction score
a handful of grass hay daily helps the digestion keep moving.
might try a small pile of uncooked raw non instant oats on top of his pellets.
did you change pellets? mine hate changes

Smiles

Exploring the pasture
Reaction score
No change in pellets. But I have increased the alfalfa hay slightly to one small hand-full a day from one small hand-full every other day. And also increased the apple tree leaves and branches to one 8"-10" branch w/leaves a day.

ILuvSheep

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
Smiles said:
No change in pellets. But I have increased the alfalfa hay slightly to one small hand-full a day from one small hand-full every other day. And also increased the apple tree leaves and branches to one 8"-10" branch w/leaves a day.
Do you think he simply ate more leaves and has decided to only eat that cause you took away the alfalfa hay? Just a thought

Hens and Roos

Herd Master
Reaction score
How is his water consumption? Is he drinking the same amount as before, not that he is becoming dehydrated? Is there any way you can move him to an area that is cooler, a friend of ours ended up moving her rabbits to her basement as they weren't handleing the heat to well being outside. She said that once inside where cooler they perked up. Good Luck. :fl

tx-ranch-man

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
k back time if your planing to breed bad because normal rabbits die if not eating