2024 SageHill Lambing (the newbie joins in) now Fall 2024

SageHill

Herd Master
Reaction score
You already let her have him? She bought 30 lambs, I’m guessing they are ewes? Or even half are ewes? And she couldn’t buy her own ram? I’m just gonna shut up. I hope he comes home without any extras.
Nope - she wants him in March. The lambs she bought were back in May/June last year. Buying the lambs last year ending up being a huge mess. From someone she knew, but the lambs were just weaned - she thought she was buying yearlings and the price was double or triple what was usual. And they brought the coccidia "present". Getting sheep around here is getting tougher and tougher. At least it sure seems that way and she decided it was time to breed to get what she wanted.
I've asked over the years if she'd sell me a few - like 3 or so, but "didn't have enough" with over 100 head. So there's that. :idunnoWe're friends doing all sorts of other things, so it's not just a sheep or dog connection.
.... -- and don't you ever shut up!! EVER! :)

Baymule

Herd Master
Reaction score
Not much danger of me ever shutting up….
100 ewes and she wants to borrow your ram? She has a screw loose. Wouldn’t sell you 3 or 4 because 100 wasn’t enough for her?

Politely offer to sell her a ram lamb. Explain that you do not loan out rams because of bio security. AND because she is such a wonderful friend, she can have first pick of your ram lambs! You have 2 other people wanting rams, so please would she come over next week to choose hers? Or if that’s not possible, you can send her pictures.

Ummm…… did you band the ram lambs? If so, scratch that last idea….😂

Ridgetop

Herd Master
Reaction score
Politely offer to sell her a ram lamb. Explain that you do not loan out rams because of bio security. AND because she is such a wonderful friend, she can have first pick of your ram lambs! You have 2 other people wanting rams, so please would she come over next week to choose hers? Or if that’s not possible, you can send her pictures.
Do what @Baymule says. I just reread what I wrote and sound like a lady dog BUT I really don't recommend loaning out stud animals so I will post it anyway.

Here are more reasons not to loan out your only stud ram. I am confused, first you said she bought 30 ewes now it seems she has a flock of 100. How many ewes is she planning on breeding to your ram?

Your ram is half your flock. You don't have a backup ram. If you lose him, you have to find and pay for another stud ram. Your ram is trained with the dogs - a new one won't be. You will have to go through training a new ram. I agree with @Baymule if your friend could afford to buy 100 ewes she could have bought a ram lamb at the same time! If she would not sell you a couple lambs out of her 100 head flock because she "didn't have enough", it sounds a little off that she is trying to use friendship to "borrow" a ram. Particularly since she paid higher than the going rate for the 100 sheep she could have afforded to buy 95 ewes and buy a ram with the remaining $$$. Not to diss your friend, but with 100 ewes to breed she has left it late in the year to suddenly realize she needs a ram. The owners of the other rams were probably not loaning them. If they were for sale why didn't she buy one of them?

Unless you are planning to get rid of your ram, don't send him to another flock. Especially don't send him to a 100 ewe flock. The chances of infection/injury from that many ewes is much greater than in a smaller flock. Don't forget that brucellosis is only one disease that can be transmitted through breeding to infected ewes. Also the standard ram:ewe ratio is 1:50. For maximum conception 1:35 is recommended. This is for a mature proven breeding ram. The ratio drops for young ramlings or unproven rams. A ratio of 1:100 has been tried but the conception rates are reduced.

If I were offering a stud animal for breeding, I would never agree to the ratio of 1:100 she plans to use. Lowered conception rates will reflect poorly on the stud, giving him a bad reputation for settling ewes and decreasing his value as a stud. That is not a problem for you, since you are not offering/advertising stud service. The problem for you is that loaning out your ram for a flock of that many ewes really increases the possibility of disease and/or injury to your ram.

Also remember that you are a business. Would you loan Obi out at Stud? With his bloodlines and abilities Obi's stud service is worth a great deal. Loaning stud animals out is not a good idea. Even if your ram is not pedigreed, his service is valuable. In case of injury or death will she replace him with a stud ram of your choosing? Will you have a written contract setting forth the terms? If he gets sick or injured who pays for the vet? Has she offered you any lambs in return for your ram's service?

Otherwise, if he is doing well for you and you want to keep him, tell her that you will sell her one of your ram lambs. I would not loan out a ram. Either sell him to her and replace him or sell her a ram lamb.

FYI: Some people do rent out rams, but they need to do a Brucellosis test and quarantine for a month each time they go to a new flock and come back since the owners have to guarantee that no disease will be brought in. That costs $$$ and requires additional pens.

SageHill

Herd Master
Reaction score
You all are great. 😊
And @Ridgetop putting it in terms of Obi you struck a cord.
She’s got over 100 head (130,?? maybe more), is planning on breeding 20-30. She can’t breed the whole flock because she needs them for training and trials. Her flock is for training trial dogs - a training facility where she now also has a handful of her students teaching lessons. I taught there for 20+ years and it was just the two of us teaching. Typically there are 4 - 6 herding trials there a year. People come and rent her sheep to practice at her place and often they get sheep mixed. She’s only got ewes and wethers because of that. Which as I type makes me think the same thing could happen with my ram. Hmmm
I still have 2 ram lambs left - I could make that offer.
I was also thinking that my ram so far is “tame” likes his crackers and ear rubs (and while he’s like that I still have a stock stick and always watch out) would he come back like that or be something I’d end up taking to auction for safety’s sake?
Yeah more and more I’m thinking he stays here. I have to think fast because March is around the corner.

Mini Horses

Herd Master
Reaction score
Yeah more and more I’m thinking he stays here. I have to think fast because March is around the corner.
This is an overnight decision. An easy one! NO mature ram available. She's a friend who's asking for something she knows is not favorable to you!

Suck it up. No loaner. Tell her only purchase her own.

SageHill

Herd Master
Reaction score
I’ve absolutely figured it out. Not that I have to have a reason but I seriously DO.
I have a ram that throws SPOTS. That isn’t something that as they say grows on trees 😊 and I want spots. So if something happened to him I’d be SOL.
You all are the greatest and really helped me through it. ❤️