24 hour resting period...

elevan

Critter Addict ♥
Reaction score
animalmom said:
I've frozen rabbit that wasn't going to get used within a couple days and have not noticed any toughness. I figure it takes a few hours in the freezer before it is total frozen, or in other words, resting is resting.
x2

Ours go straight into the freezer and we've not noticed any toughness

nawma

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
So you leave your rabbits at room temp for two days? You dont worry about it going bad?

sawfish99

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
I am not at all disputing the science behind rigor. I always allow large game/livestock to have a few days to hang. However, with the rabbits and chickens, the meat is so much smaller, I don't see a difference.

It may also matter that we always slow cook rabbit (mostly out of convenience)

Sycamore27

Exploring the pasture
Reaction score
nawma said:
So you leave your rabbits at room temp for two days? You dont worry about it going bad?
Nonono, not room temperature. In the refrigerator before freezing is what everyone is talking about with resting rabbit meat. Left at room temperature a rabbit would definitely be spoiled after a day.

Cheers,
Jessie

nawma

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
Thanks Jessi. I was hoping that in the refrigerator was what was meant.

Hens and Roos

Herd Master
Reaction score
this last time we processed 13 rabbits- they rested in the frig for about 3 days- that is how long it took me to get them wrapped up in freezer paper and into the freezer. Also wanted to ask what others use to wrap the meat in for the freezer that works well and prevents freezer burn. The 1st group we processed we used a food saver to bag them- it worked out nice. This time around the food saver wasn't working right and so ended up wrapping in freezer paper.

Moonshine

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
Wednesday, we dispatched 6 rabbits and put them in a cooler with ice and water for 48 hours (changing out the water every morning and night) and then I put them in ziplock bags and into the freezer.

elevan

Critter Addict ♥
Reaction score
Hens and Roos said:
Also wanted to ask what others use to wrap the meat in for the freezer that works well and prevents freezer burn. The 1st group we processed we used a food saver to bag them- it worked out nice. This time around the food saver wasn't working right and so ended up wrapping in freezer paper.
We either use 2 ziplock bags or the foodsaver.

sawfish99

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
We had problems with the leg bones puncturing the food saver bags. Now we use shrink bags that you put chickens into. When I process, I do not cut through the sternum. Then we take the back legs and bend the rabbit forward so the back legs are tucked into the chest cavity. It makes the whole thing almost like a ball. Put the rabbit down in the shrink bag and dunk into almost boiling water. It presents a very tightly package rabbit with little chance of freezer burn.

Latest posts