A Geep?..yes a Goat-Sheep Hybrid

SillyChicken

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
We raised several baby goats on whole vit D milk from day one ... never had any issues with scours or growing... we kept them on the bottle a bit longer till they learned to eat hay. Do you have hay in with him he can nibble on? I've heard the same thing from everyone that has used it that the replacer formulas are a problem. I sure hope the little guy pulls through all this, you're doing a great job with him!

Reactions: L J

L J

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
We raised several baby goats on whole vit D milk from day one ... never had any issues with scours or growing... we kept them on the bottle a bit longer till they learned to eat hay. Do you have hay in with him he can nibble on? I've heard the same thing from everyone that has used it that the replacer formulas are a problem. I sure hope the little guy pulls through all this, you're doing a great job with him!
thanks! I don't always feel I'm doing good, but I sure am trying.
Had a vet check up today, he still is labored in breathing. Got another Antibiotic shot, and one I have to give on Sunday. His temp is normal, his behavior is normal, outside of the breathing issue. It hasn't worsened, but really hasn't gotten better either. The vet is a little worried, but said if he isn't better by Monday/tuesday, he has 1 more antibiotic he wants to try. He also said Sammy might always have trouble now, bc it can permanently damage the lungs. Ahh crap.

oh and about the milk. Since he was born from a sheep, I'm feeding based on that. So that is why I'm nervous about cows milk. I feel like several people have been adament to me about sheep not getting any cows milk. Right now he is getting 3oz of formula w a teasp of yogurt. He is somewhat eating the grass pellets (seems to like that better than the loose grass hay) and I got a mineral block he seems to love (already have a salt block)

Pearce Pastures

Barn Babe
Reaction score
Agree with those before who are recommending whole milk. For whatever reason, it seems to be much easier on their tummies. If he is having digestive issues, do back down a bit on the milk. If he scours (diarrhea), stop the milk and give only pedialyte or something similar until the problem is resolved.

I too would say to treat him as a sheep in regards to feeding. There is no way to know what his biology demands so better to be safe.

As sweetened mentioned, I have too read that this mix in a male animal can create one voracious sex drive. Waiting until he is 8-10 weeks before banding is standard and would give him enough time to develop.

Thanks for sharing this. Very interesting. He does have a curious look, with that goat coat, sheep tail, and blended facial features. If it comes back that he isn't a Geep (but it sure sounds like he is), I would still love to see how he grows out because he is different looking.

L J

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
ok going to try the whole milk today. He is breathing a bit smoother. Temp normal, acting pretty normal. He has timothy grass pellets and some chopped timothy grass, along w some mineral block and iodine salt block (am I over doing it?? ) He hasn't figured out how to drink free from a water dish, so bottle water - 6 oz ever few hours. Last night and this morning he got 3.5 oz of formula w a teaspoon of yogurt. He is nibbling on the food a little, but has lost 2.5 lbs over the last week, ever since he bloated. I guess he will just figure out that he needs to eat that grass stuff. oh, but he only pooped a small couple pellets last night. should I try something else to get him to eat the grass?

The vet gave him a shot of Nuflor yesterday and sent me home w a shot of it for tomorrow (thankfully I'm experienced in giving animals shots!)

Thanks for all the advice. This sure is an adventure. :)

oh and a couple pics from today. he isn't one for holding a pose. sammy7.jpg sammy8.jpg sammy9.jpg

purplequeenvt

Herd Master
Reaction score
You shouldn't need to be giving him water in his bottle. If he's not getting the amount of fluids he needs through his milk, he'll figure out the water bucket. I've yet to have a bottle baby that didn't eventually figure out how to drink water.

When he is taking his bottle, are you holding the bottle in a way that keeps his neck stretched up? If his head and neck are too low while drinking, that can cause him to inhale some of the milk as well as sometimes causing bloat.

I wouldn't force the other feed on him. He'll figure it out when he's ready.

Sounds like you are doing a great job with him!

Pearce Pastures

Barn Babe
Reaction score
Do you have access to a few bales of grass hay or could you get some? The long stemmy fiber is really good for them and that, plus either loose minerals or a soft mineral block, are all he really needs at this point. I would ditch the salt block and make sure that the mineral block is not one of those HARD ones. x2 on nixing the water as well.

L J

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
Do you have access to a few bales of grass hay or could you get some? The long stemmy fiber is really good for them and that, plus either loose minerals or a soft mineral block, are all he really needs at this point. I would ditch the salt block and make sure that the mineral block is not one of those HARD ones. x2 on nixing the water as well.

I do have loose hay, and figured out he hates it in the bowl. However, once its on the ground- he nibbles at it.

The mineral block I have is kind of hard, if that makes sense. Its in a block, but can cut off chunks pretty easy.

It was 60 and sunny yesterday, so I took him to the yard to play. He is doing a lot better health wise. Breathing is back to normal, more active. Loved the outside. and, it seems that by him sniffing and poking around at the forage outside, he seems more interested in the hay inside (in his pen).

Also doing the whole milk now and no more formula.
sammy7.jpg sammy8.jpg

L J

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
Y

When he is taking his bottle, are you holding the bottle in a way that keeps his neck stretched up? If his head and neck are too low while drinking, that can cause him to inhale some of the milk as well as sometimes causing bloat.
!

yes, holding it up so his neck is stretched upwards. :)

Latest posts