A Geep?..yes a Goat-Sheep Hybrid

L J

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
Been awhile since I did an update for Sammy the Geep.

He is just over 3 months old now. 30lbs. He is in the house still because I'm having to re-roof the barn. He will be outside in 2 weeks. (I take him outside every day for awhile so he is getting used to it.
I use a water squirt bottle to curb his head butting. The vet is urging me to castrate in a couple weeks (band now so we don't wait too long and have to do surgery). He is getting horns. Although one is bigger than the other. We are all curious how those horns will turn out.

The only issue is that he won't drink water from a bowl. I even put milk in the bowl and he wont touch it. I'm still bottle feeding milk (the vet wanted us to go until the end of April before attempting to wean again). I figure once he is outside w a couple friends, he will figure out the water bowl.

Here are a couple pics from the last couple days.
sammy9.jpg
sammy10.jpg

ohiogoatgirl

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
I know this is older thread but very interested in update if possible. also from many years milk goats and tons of bottle babies.. put his milk/water in a fairly wide deep bucket that you can hold firmly. stick the nipple from the bottle in the liquid. "OH! the nipple! its down there!" he will try and suck it so if possible you can start by *FIRMLY* holding the nipple there and letting him suck from the nipple but get him used to eating with his head down and liquid touching his lips. and I do mean hold the nipple firmly! don't worry he will probably steal the nipple from ya several times and try to run off still suckin away. and he may punch at the nipple with his face like he would with the bottle or moms udder so firm grasp of the bucket! splash zone and towels ready if inside for spilling.
next as he gets used to that with the feedings you hold the nipple under more and pinch it closed. he will learn to open his mouth more and suck up liquid instead of just suckin the nipple. again with the splash zone and grumpy punching at it! and don't worry too much if it takes him 2wks or so to transition.

on the bright side ya don't have to do it with 30 kid goats!

L J

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
image.jpg
Been awhile since I logged in, sorry!
Sammy is now 6 months old, and doing well other than he is short lol.
I bought 3 Katahdin/Barbados cross (2 ewe and a ram lamb). They are 4-6 weeks younger than Sammy,but as of now the smallest ewe is a tad bigger than him, w the ram lamb being almost twice his size.
He doesn't have much flocking instinct. The 3 will play w each other, are typically close when browsing the pasture and cuddling up at night. And while they get along, he just seems in his own little world. Sometimes I get sad bc he seems like such a loner, and has not lost the desire to be right next to me any time I come around. He eats well and his healthy otherwise.

Re the DNA test...this is a crazy story...my sister in laws family, who own Sammy's parents, realized a few months after giving him to me, of his mixed species and thought they could make millions. So they harassed me pretty bad and wanted him back. I refused. (And he isn't going to make me millions lol.)
Anyway, I just spoke to my sister in law last night and it sounds like her mom is coming around and will help us w he DNA. I need 20 hairs w the root from both parents and Sammy before UC Davis can do the test.

Pic, Capone, Pearl, Lucille and Sammy..

Last edited:

OneFineAcre

Herd Master
Reaction score
Why did they think they could make millions ?
If he really is a cross he wouldn't be the first
And while he's cute he is worth less than a good sheep or a goat ;)

Reactions: L J

L J

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
Oh and we did get him to drink water out of the bowl by putting ice cubes in. He licked it like a salt block. Now he drinks like a normal sheep or goat. ;)

Latest posts