Adding ram to herd?

sallyonthefarm

Just born
Reaction score
I have 6 Jacobs (4 ewes and 2 wethers) and have been asked to consider providing a new home for a "stray" ram who's supposedly about four yrs. old. It was suggested that he could be neutered -- but I am concerned that, even with that, there might be problems with everyone getting along. I'm even wondering if neutering at that age is a good idea. My sheep are only for fun -- and I am not interested in breeding. Advice welcome.

goodhors

Overrun with beasties
Reaction score
I would pass on the "gift ram". Sounds like your flock gets along fine now, and you don't sound enthused about adding.

I would agree, nuetering may or may not do anyting for the ram. He probably USED to being dominant, may be larger, so also stronger, than the wethers you have now. With sheep, there is ALWAYS some bashing to figure who is dominant in a group, he may be too big to have things equal.

Do not allow yourself to be pushed into taking him, guilted about his problems. Just say "sorry, I can't manage another sheep right now" and refuse to take him.

As for the "free" part, those are the MOST expensive kind of animals, be they pets or livestock! You will have the added cost of owning him start RIGHT OFF with nuetering, then there is feed, shots if he is a stray to insure your herd health and likely worming.

Be firm, keep on saying "NO" despite the reasons they push at you. I would bet you won't like him, then would have little to no fun with him around because he was not really wanted in the first place. Let someone else take him or let those who have him now make a different choice in getting him another home besides yours.

rockdoveranch

Ridin' The Range
Reaction score
goodhors said:
I would pass on the "gift ram". Sounds like your flock gets along fine now, and you don't sound enthused about adding.

I would agree, nuetering may or may not do anyting for the ram. He probably USED to being dominant, may be larger, so also stronger, than the wethers you have now. With sheep, there is ALWAYS some bashing to figure who is dominant in a group, he may be too big to have things equal.

Do not allow yourself to be pushed into taking him, guilted about his problems. Just say "sorry, I can't manage another sheep right now" and refuse to take him.

As for the "free" part, those are the MOST expensive kind of animals, be they pets or livestock! You will have the added cost of owning him start RIGHT OFF with nuetering, then there is feed, shots if he is a stray to insure your herd health and likely worming.

Be firm, keep on saying "NO" despite the reasons they push at you. I would bet you won't like him, then would have little to no fun with him around because he was not really wanted in the first place. Let someone else take him or let those who have him now make a different choice in getting him another home besides yours.
+2

sallyonthefarm

Just born
Reaction score
I really appreciate the advice -- and I am very glad that this situation caused me to look for a forum such as this for help. I had a great time reading all the sheep posts! To provide just a little more info, my Jacobs range in age from 12 to 9 years. I also have, in a separate pasture area, four five year old Fresian wethers who were still being bottle fed when I got them -- they are loving and gentle and would follow me anywhere. I've always had good luck with my sheep -- and have a great shearer -- but really know very little. Thanks to all for sharing.

marliah

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
I agree with everyone else. Skip the ram.